Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy (Book Notes)

wiredniko

Jedi in training
Jul 20, 2010
New York
I have started taking notes on really important books lately so I can easily go back and reference certain ideas or as a nice and quick refresher. "Eat That Frog" is one of those books that once you pick up you will not want to put it down. I truly believe that reading this book and Getting Things Done will make you accomplish more things in one day that others accomplish is seven.

Since I am posting this I added some of my thoughts which hopefully will help the reader out. Scroll all the way to the bottom if you just want to read the summary.

Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy

Introduction

Each morning eat a live frog. You can go through the day knowing that you just did the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day.

If you have two important tasks before you, start with the biggest, hardest and most important task first. Discipline yourself to begin immediately and then to persist until the task is complete before you go on to something else.

Think of it as a test. Treat it like a personal challenge. Resist the temptation to start with the easier task.

If you have to eat a live frog it doesn't pay to sit and look at it for very long.

Productivity and high levels of performance is developing the habit of tackling your major task first each morning without taking too much time to think about it.

Keep practicing until it becomes habitual and then part of your subconscious.

Three key qualities to develop the habit of focus and concentration. They are decision, discipline and determination.

Make a decision to develop a habit. Discipline yourself to practice the principles until you master them. Back everything you do with determination until the habit becomes part of your personality.

Accelerate your progress by continually thinking about the rewards and benefits of what you are trying to accomplish.

Your mental picture of yourself has a powerful effect on your behavior. Visualize yourself as the person you intend to be in the future.

“The person you see is the person you will be” - Jim Cathcart

Eat that Frog!

Chapter 1 – Set the Table

“There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants and a burning desire to achieve it” - Napoleon Hill

Clarity is the most important concept in personal productivity. Be absolutely clear about your goals and object and do not deviate from them.

Rule for success: Think on paper

7 Steps for setting and achieving goals
Decide exactly what you want
Write it down
Set a deadline on your goal
Make a list of everything that you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal
Organize the list into a plan (by priority and sequence) (Niko's note: Mind Mapping is a useful tool for this)
Take action on your plan immediately
Resolve to do something every single day that moves you toward your major goal

An average plan vigorously executed is far better than a brilliant plan on which nothing is done.

Keep pushing forward. Once you start moving, keep moving. Don't stop. This decision, this discipline alone, can make you one of the most productive and successful people.

Think about your goals and review them daily.

Exercise: Take a sheet of paper and write down a list of ten goals you want to accomplish next year. Write them as though the year has already passed and they are now a reality. Then go back to your list of ten goals and select the goal that would have the greatest positive impact on your life. Write that goal on a separate sheet, set a deadline, make a plan, take action on your plan and then do something every single day that moves you toward that goal.

Chapter 2 – Plan Every Day in Advance

“Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now” - Alan Lakein

How do you eat the biggest, ugliest frog? You break it down into specific step by step activities and then you start on the first one. (Niko's note: Getting Things Done by David Allen is a great book for creating actions, I highly recommend that book, I believe GTD and Eat That Frog principles combined will change your entire life because they are both very effective books and tend to complement each other)

One of your top goals should be to get the highest possible return on your investment of mental, emotional and physical energy.

Always work from a list. When something new comes up, add it to the list before you do it.

Make out your list the night before. Move everything you have not accomplish onto your list for the next coming day. (Niko's note: GTDify - Getting Things Done! is a great tool for creating a list of actions)

Create a master list to write down everything that needs to be done some time in the future.

Create a monthly list at the end of the month for the month ahead that may contain items transferred from your master list.

Create a weekly list where you plan your entire week in advance. This list should be under construction as you go through the current week.

Create a daily list. These are the specific activities that you are going to accomplish that day.

When you have a project of any kind, begin by making a list of every step that you will have to complete to finish the project from beginning to end. Organize the project by priority and sequence.

10/90 rule: The first 10% of time that you spend planning and organizing your work before you begin, will save you as much as 90% of the time in getting the job done once you get started.

(Niko's thoughts: I have been a huge Getting Things Done guy if you have not noticed already. I find it very interesting that there is a radical difference between GTD and EtF. GTD is all about thinking about your next action, while EtF is about planning your entire project from the beginning.

One of the problems I have with GTD at times is that I complete an action, then have to think about what needs to be done next. I am guessing with EtF that problem is eliminated. GTD though has one thing working for it, its very dynamic, since working on just one action instead of a series of actions allows you to change priorities quickly. In extremely complex work environments being dynamic in your action plan is a tremendous asset.

However I feel that in less dynamic environments EtF planning procedure comes out on top. I sense that this is highly dependent on the kind of work you do. Perhaps the best solution is combine the two ideas. Create an overall plan of attack for your projects but be fluent enough to realize that unexpected situations will come up. So plan your actions and prioritize them, then go after them action by action is probably the most effective way to combine both ideas.)

Exercise: Begin today to plan every day, week and month in advance. Write down everything you have to do in the next 24 hours. Add to it as new items come up. Make a list of all your projects and multi-task jobs that are important to your future.

Prioritize all your major goals, projects and tasks and by sequence. Start with the end in mind and work backwards.

Chapter 3 – Apply the 80/20 Rule to Everything

The Pareto Principle: 20% of your activities will account for 80% of your results

If you have a list of ten items to do, two of those will turn out to be worth much more than the other eight put together. Those two items are your frog.

Refuse to work in the bottom 80% while you still have tasks in the top 20% left to be done.

Resist the temptation to clear up small things first.

Time management is really life management, personal management. It taking control over the sequence of events.

Exercise: Make a list of all the key goals, activities, projects and responsibilities in your life today. Which ones are top 10-20%? Which ones are 80%? Resolve today that you are going to spend more and more time working in the areas that can really make a difference in your life and career and less and less time on lower value activities.

Reactions: DanWesson

Chapter 4 – Consider the Consequences

The mark of the superior thinker is the ability to accurately predict the consequences of doing or not doing something.

Long term thinking improves short-term decision making.

By definition important actions have long term potential consequences. Unimportant actions have few or no long term potential consequences.

Successful people are those who are willing to delay gratification and make sacrifices in the short term so that they can enjoy far greater rewards in the long term. (Niko's note: I have heard this though in a slightly different way: We fuck up our long term pleasure for short term satisfaction)

Keep yourself focused and forward moving by continually starting and completing tasks that make major difference to your company and future.

Exercise: Review your list of tasks, activities and projects regularly. Continually ask yourself, “Which one project if completed will have the great positive impact in my life”

Chapter 5 – Practice the ABCDE Method Continually

“The fist law of success is concentration – to bend all the energies to one point and go directly to that point, looking neither to the right or to the left.” - William Mathews

Start with a list of everything you have to do for the coming day. Think on paper.

Place A, B, C, D, E before each item on your list before you being the first task.

An “A” item is defined as something that is very important. Something that you must do. If you have more than one “A” task prioritize by writing A-1, A-2, etc where A-1 is your biggest and ugliest frog. (ex. Visiting a key customer, finishing a report for your boss for an upcoming board meeting)

A “B” item is defined as a task you should do, but only has mild consequences. (ex. Returning an unimportant business call, reviewing your email)

A “C” task is defined as something that would be nice to do, but are no consequences. (ex. Call a friend, go to lunch with a a coworker)

A “D” task is defined as something that you can delegate to someone else.

An “E” task is defined as something that you can eliminate altogether and it won't make any real difference.

Make the ABCDE method work by immediately starting on task A-1 and staying at it until its completed.

Exercise: Review your work list right now and put A, B, C, D, E next to each task or activity. Select an A-1 job or project and begin on it immediately. Do nothing else until this job is complete. Practice the ABCDE method every day and on every work or project list before you begin work for the next month.

Chapter 6 – Focus on Key Result Areas

“When every physical and mental resource is focused, one's power to solve a problem multiples tremendously” - Norman Vincent Peale

Why are you on the payroll? You have been hired for specific results. Usually they can be broken into five to seven key result areas.

A key result area is defined as something for which you are completely responsible for. If you don't do it, it doesn't get done.

Grade yourself on key result areas in a scale of 1-10. Your weakest key result area sets the height at which you can use all your other skills and abilities.

What one skill, if I developed and did it in an excellent fashion, would have the greatest positive impact on my career?

Keep in mind that all business skills can be learned.

Key result areas for management: Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Delegating, Supervising, Measuring and Reporting.

Exercise: Identify the key result areas of your work. What are they? Give yourself a grade from 1-10 on each one. Discuss your list with your boss. Make it a habit of doing this analysis regularly for the rest of your career. Never stop improving.

(Niko's notes: I find this idea fascinating. I think I naturally follow it. The first issue I identified for myself was lack of organization, reading GTD and now this has allowed me to improve tremendously. Right now I feel like I am working on measuring and reporting since no such thing existed before I came to this job...I am pretty sure once I establish that the next key area to improve would be planning)

Chapter 7 – Obey the Law of Forced Efficiency

“Concentration, in its truest, unadulterated form, means the ability to focus the mind on one single solitary thing.” - Komar

There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always enough time to do the most important thing.

Many people say that they work better under the pressure of deadlines. Unfortunately years of research indicate that is not true.

Keeping yourself focused. What are you highest value activities? What can I and only I do, that if done well, will make a real difference? What is the most valuable use of my time right now?

Exercise: Take a few minuets each day and sit quietly where you cannot be disturbed. Let your mind relax and just think about your work and activities, without stress or pressure.

Chapter 8 – Prepare Thoroughly Before you Being

Organize your work area. The cleaner and neater your work area before you begin, the easier it is to focus for long periods of time.

Prepare everything in advance before you begin.

Exercise: Take a good look at your desk or office. Ask yourself “what kind of a person works in an environment like that? Resolve today to clean up your desk and office completely so that you feel effective, efficient and ready to get going each time you sit down to work.

Chapter 9 – Do your Homework

“The only certain means of success is to render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be” - Og Mandino

Continually upgrade your skills in your key result areas.

Personal and professional improvement is one of the best time savers there is.

Continuous learning is the minimum requirement for success in any field.

Everything can be learned. Refuse to allow a weakness or a lack of ability in any area to hold you back.

The more you learn and know the more confident and motivated you feel.

Exercise: Resolve today to become a Do it to Yourself project. Become a lifelong student of your craft. Resolve to be the very best at what you do.

Chapter 10 – Leverage you Special Talents

Take stock of your unique talents and abilities on a regular basis.

One of your great responsibilities in life is for you to decide what it is you really love to do and then throw your whole heart into doing that special thing very, very well.

Exercise: Continually ask yourself these key questions “What am I really good at? What do I enjoy the most about my work? What has been most responsible for my success in the past?”

Chapter 11 – Identify your Key Constraints

There is always a limiting factor that determines how quickly and well you get things done. Study and identify your limiting factors. Concentrate your energy on alleviating that single chokepoint.

The 80/20 rule applies to the constraints in your life and your work. 80% of constraints are internal.

What is it in me that is holding me back?

Behind every constraint or chokepoint, once its located and alleviated successfully, you will find another one.

Exercise: Identify your most important goal in life today. Once you have a clear goal ask yourself, what sets the speed at which you can accomplish this goal? Why don't you have it already? What is holding you back? Whatever your answers, take action immediately. Get started.

Chapter 12 – Take it One Oil Barrel at a Time

“A journey of a thousand leagues begins with a single step” - Confucius

You can accomplish your biggest tasks in your life by taking them just one step at a time. (Niko's note: This is the main focus point of the GTD principle)

Perform one task at a time quickly and well.

Exercise: Select any goal, task or project in your life where you have been procrastinating and take just one step toward accomplishing it immediately.

Chapter 13 – Put the Pressure on Yourself

The world is full of people who are waiting for someone to come along and motivate them to be the kind of people they wish they could be. The problem is that no one is coming.

Make it a habit to put pressure on yourself and not waiting for someone else to come along and do it for you. You must choose your own frogs and then make yourself eat them in their order of importance.

Set standards for your own work and behavior higher than anyone else could set for you.

Your self esteem is based on your reputation with yourself. You build up or pull down your reputation with yourself with everything you do or fail to do.

Overcome procrastination by working as though you only had one day to get all your most important jobs done before you left for a month or went on vacation.

Exercise: Set deadlines and sub deadlines on every task and activity. Create your own forcing system. Raise the bar on yourself. Once you have set yourself a deadline, stick to it and even try to beat it.

Write out every step of a major job or project before you being. Then determine how many minutes and hours it will take to complete each phase. Organize your daily and weekly calendars to create time segments to work exclusively on these tasks.

(Niko's notes: GTD has a different approach when it comes to setting deadlines. This ties in with how dynamic or static your work environment is. GTD urges to only set deadlines for things that need to be done at a specific time. The idea being that setting up deadlines that you never meet will make you feel inadequate and its better to just prioritize the best you can in today's ever changing environment.

Having said that though, I have personal experiences where creating a deadline for yourself does make you work better and faster. This is the whole “I am going on vacation next week” and magically all your three week projects get done, all in a couple of days.

Perhaps the best of both worlds is to set deadlines on your current action. So once you determine which “frog” you are about to eat create a time deadline and begin)

Chapter 14 – Maximize your Personal Powers

Pay attention to your physical, mental and emotional energies. When you are fully rested you can be much more productive than when you are tired.

We all have specific times during the day when we are at our best. Identify those times and discipline yourself to sue them on your most important and challenging tasks.

Sleep adequately and eat properly.

Exercise: Analyze your current energy levels and daily health habits. What are you doing physical that you should do more of? What are you doing that you should do less of?

Chapter 15 – Motivate Yourself into Action

Develop a routine of coaching and encouraging yourself to play at the top of your game.

95% of your emotional states are determined by how you talk to yourself. It is not what happens to you but the way you interpret things.

To keep yourself motivated you must resolve to become a complete optimist. Refuse to let the unavoidable difficulties and setback of daily life affect your mood and emotions.

Talk to yourself positively.

Optimism is the most important quality you can develop for personal and professional success and happiness.

Optimists have three main qualities:
Look for the good in every situation.
Seek for the valuable lesson in every setback or difficulty.
Look for the solution to every problem.

(Niko's notes: having talked to multiple millionaires throughout my life they all seem to share the above three characteristics. I have also witnessed this with people that are really good on one particular subject or skill specifically learning from their own mistakes. “How We Decide” by Jonah Lehrer was the first book that made me really recognize that fact.)

When you continually visualize your goals and ideals and talk to yourself in a positive way you will experience a greater sense of control and personal power.

Exercise: Control your thoughts. Remember you become what you think about most of the time. Be sure to think about the things you want. Keep your mind positive. Accept responsibility for yourself and everything that happens to you. Resolve to make progress rather than excuses.

(Niko's notes: Awareness of thought and keeping a positive attitude is a pretty big idea. From a religious perspective Buddhism seems to really put a focus on mental awareness and clarity. “Ruling your World” by Sakyong Mipham or “Turn your Mind into an Ally” by the same author give a good starting point for that way of thought. It seems that Neurolinguistic Programming, NLP for short, also puts heavy basis into this. How our mind not only determines positive outcomes but also reinforces phobias. “Get the Life you Want” by Richard Bandler is a great book on NLP and personal evolution)

Chapter 16 – Creative Procrastination

The difference between high and low performers is largely determined by what they choose to procrastinate on.

If you must procrastinate, do so for low value activities.

Your job is to deliberately procrastinate on those tasks that are of low value so that you have more time for those tasks that can really make a difference in your life and work.

Continually review your life and work to find those time consuming tasks and activities that you can abandon with no real loss.

Exercise: Examine your personal and work activities and evaluated them. Is it something that you need to be doing?

Chapter 17 – Do the Most Difficult Task First

Develop the habit of doing the most difficult task first by making a list of everything you have to do the next day.

Review your list using the ABCDE method combined with the 80/20 rule.

Select your A-1, most important task. Assemble all you need to finish this job.

Start working on your task without interruptions before you do anything else.

Do this repeatedly for 21 days until it becomes a habit.

Exercise: See yourself as a work in progress. Dedicate yourself to developing the habits of high productivity by practicing them repeatedly. One of the best ways to approach this is “Just for today”. Don't worry about changing yourself for your whole life. If it sounds like a good idea, do it “just for today”.

Chapter 18 – Slice and Dice the Task

Cut big tasks down to smaller sizes.

When you start and finish a small piece of a task, you feel motivated to start and finish another part and another.

(Niko's notes: This chapter is too small to push home the point of slicing and dicing. GTD spends multiple chapters on just this concept. The main idea is breaking down a big project into actionable tasks. I feel that no matter what I write here it will not do justice to how well GTD explains actions.)

Chapter 19 – Create Large Chunks of Time

Most work requires large chucks of unbroken time to complete.

The key to success of this method is working in specific time segments for you to plan your day in advance and specifically schedule a fixed time period for a particular activity or task.

Think of it as making work appointments with yourself.

One of the keys to high levels of performance and productivity is to make every minute count.

Exercise: Think continually of different ways you can save, schedule and consolidate large chunks of time.

Chapter 20 – Develop a Sense of Urgency

Highly productive people take the time to think, plan and set priorities. They then launch quickly and strongly toward their goals and objectives. They work steadily, smoothly and continuously.

When you work on high value tasks at high and continuous level of activity you can enter the mental state of flow.

A sense of urgency develops a bias for action. You focus on specific steps you can take immediately.

The momentum principle says that although it takes tremendous amounts of energy to overcome inertia and get going initially, it then takes far less energy to keep going.

(Niko's notes: As one of my mentors told me, “find the strength to start, then use discipline to keep going)

One of the simplest and yet most powerful ways to get yourself started is to repeat the words, “Do it now! Do it now! Do it now!” over and over to yourself.

Exercise: Resolve today to develop a sense of urgency in everything you do. Select on area you have a tendency to procrastinate and make a decision to develop that habit of fast action in that area.

Chapter 21 – Single Handle Every Task

Eat that frog! Every bit of planning, prioritizing and organizing comes down to this simple concept.

Your ability to select the most important task, begin it and then concentrate on it single mindlessly until it is complete.

According to studies picking up a task and then putting it down can increase completion time by as much as 500%.

The key to happiness, satisfaction, great success and a wonderful feeling of personal power is for you to develop the habit of eating your frog first thing every day.

Summary

1. Set the table: Decide exactly what you want. Clarity is essential. Write out your goals and objectives before you begin;
2. Plan every day in advance: Think on paper. Every minute you spend in planning can save you five or ten minutes in execution;
3. Apply the 80/20 Rule to everything: Twenty percent of your activities will account for eighty percent of your results. Always concentrate your efforts on that top twenty percent;
4. Consider the consequences: Your most important tasks and priorities are those that can have the most serious consequences, positive or negative, on your life or work. Focus on these above all else;
5. Practice the ABCDE Method continually: Before you begin work on a list of tasks, take a few moments to organize them by value and priority so you can be sure of working on your most important activities;
6. Focus on key result areas: Identify and determine those results that you absolutely, positively have to get to do your job well, and work on them all day long;
7. The Law of Forced Efficiency: There is never enough time to do everything but there is always enough time to do the most important things. What are they?
8. Prepare thoroughly before you begin: Proper prior preparation prevents poor performance;
9. Do your homework: The more knowledgeable and skilled you become at your key tasks, the faster you start them and the sooner you get them done;
10. Leverage your special talents: Determine exactly what it is that you are very good at doing, or could be very good at, and throw your whole heart into doing those specific things very, very well;
11. Identify your key constraints: Determine the bottlenecks or chokepoints, internally or externally, that set the speed at which you achieve your most important goals and focus on alleviating them;
12. Take it one oil barrel at a time: You can accomplish the biggest and most complicated job if you just complete it one step at a time;
13. Put the pressure on yourself: Imagine that you have to leave town for a month and work as if you had to get all your major tasks completed before you left;
14. Maximize your personal powers: Identify your periods of highest mental and physical energy each day and structure your most important and demanding tasks around these times. Get lots of rest so you can perform at your best;
15. Motivate yourself into action: Be your own cheerleader. Look for the good in every situation. Focus on the solution rather than the problem. Always be optimistic and constructive;
16. Practice creative procrastination: Since you can’t do everything, you must learn to deliberately put off those tasks that are of low value so that you have enough time to do the few things that really count;
17. Do the most difficult task first: Begin each day with your most difficult task, the one task that can make the greatest contribution to yourself and your work, and resolve to stay at it until it is complete;
18. Slice and dice the task: Break large, complex tasks down into bite sized pieces and then just do one small part of the task to get started;
19. Create large chunks of time: Organize your days around large blocks of time where you can concentrate for extended periods on your most important tasks;
20. Develop a sense of urgency: Make a habit of moving fast on your key tasks. Become known as a person who does things quickly and well;
21. Single handle every task: Set clear priorities, start immediately on your most important task and then work without stopping until the job is 100% complete. This is the real key to high performance and maximum personal productivity.

I've had that book for ages, never read it because I was too busy *doing stuff* to read a book about how get motivated to do stuff. meh

tl;dr. although eat that frog has been on my reading list for awhile. i've also got into the habit of taking notes/dogearing interesting stuff recently, definitely helps to retain information.

What the ..?

The guy sits down and condenses a book for you (60pp down to 2) and you are complaining?

::emp::

Reactions: wiredniko
I did not want to just create a super summary because then you lose part of the context.

As I said, I did this for myself, the only extra work I did was add some of my thoughts when I decided to post it for everyone else's benefit.

If you have no use for it so be it. :nopenope:

I've just bought this book for my kindle so will copy your post on there as well. I'll read it once I've read the book. Thanks.

Thanks for this. This book is on my Amazon wishlist, but I already have a backlog of books to read before ordering this one. Your summary notes are helpful, and for books where I'm reading to learn something vs. entertainment, I've been doing the same thing.

Turned your post into .pdf and put on my iPad in Goodreader. Remind me to buy you a drink at the next conference.

Its a good book. I went with the audio version of long time ago in my car (I now have an iron frog on my desk)