EarthBound: Blast from the Past

NightG

Apr 15, 2010
Florida
earthbound-wide.jpg

I know there are a lot of gamers here, and quite a few who enjoy RPG's. Just wanted to share what I think to be not only the best RPG of all time, but actually the best video game of all time: EarthBound (known as "Mother 2" in Japan). Released in the mid 90's for the SNES it was a huge success in Japan (so wildly popular that Earthbound characters star alongside characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link in the Smash Brothers games), although not so much in the states. While fantasy RPG's such as Final Fantasy were the standard at the time, EarthBound broke the genre mold and introduced a modern day RPG, featuring a Western setting and sci-fi elements. Gone were swords, potions, and sorcery; replaced by baseball bats, burgers, and psionic powers. As well as the setting, EarthBound introduced many new game mechanics to the RPG genre that are still to this day rarely seen: instant victories against significantly weaker enemies, being able to see your enemies on the overworld map, rolling HP bars that reward quick play, and more. But if you ask your typical EarthBound fan why the game is so great, they will almost always tell you it's story and soul.

The story focuses around a young boy named Ness who is awoken late one night by a meteor crashing outside his house. Investigating, he finds a strange being who has crossed space-time who delivers an alarming message: in the future, the world has faded into darkness, and all that remains is destruction and despair. Terminator style, the last hope of humanity has been to send a traveler back in time in order to change history. And of course only friendship, courage, and love can do that.

While many may find the idea corny, EarthBound's wit, charm, and soul (along with one of the sickest soundtracks in any game ever) makes it a truly endearing game that has left an emotional mark on many gamers. If you're a fan of RPG's and haven't played EarthBound, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Download an emulator and get to playing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkKc0EyDl8]Review - EarthBound (SNES) - YouTube[/ame]

Secret of Mana 1 & 2, 2 which is called Seiken Densetsu 3(and has full translations)
250px-Secret_of_Mana_Box.jpg

Final Fantasy 3
final-fantasy-vi.jpg

Terranigma
Terranigma_Ark_and_Elle.png

and of course Chrono Trigger is the best.

Secret of Mana is #2 for me. First multiplayer RPG. We used to sit around with a multitap and three man that sucker. So awesome.

Final Fantasy 2 and 3 were awesome in the US. Hell, every FF is awesome.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmZQcEcmdc4]Why a pig was in my house - YouTube[/ame]

super dramatic moment in snes rpg

this thread takes me back. +1 for Earthbound.

last game I played was Earthbound - then I realized after the Gygas battle (last battle of the game) that I was wasting too much time playing games and I needed to get to work.

Some of those RPG video games are too addictive and days go by without you checking into reality.