Dvorak anyone?

RockDiesel

Nov 29, 2007
Anyone fuck around with the Dvorak keyboard layout? I was reading up on it today, and was thinking about switching one of my other keyboards around to Dvorak just to mess around. Anyone strictly use Dvorak?

Anyone fuck around with the one hand layouts like in this picture?

Dvorak8.jpg

Stanley uses it.
Drives me fucking nuts when I'm at his place, or trying to show him something on his laptop. "uhh, how do i type 'google.com' on this?"

In my opinion, you'll waste more time learning/converting/switching-back-and-forth than you'd ever save typing. Plus, consider the ninja-keybindings argument -- if you're ninja enough to need a fancy keyboard setup, you're probably also ninja enough to use lots of keyboard shortcuts. I dunno about you, but I use too many keyboard shortcuts to ever be able to remap or relearn them all. I use vim as my main editor; if I tried switching to dvorak, I'd have to relearn everything.

It's annyoing for games, and make sure you know all your passwords before you do it. cause since the layou changed, you can't remember it by the pattern.

oreo2.jpg

Course on a mac it's incredibly easy to switch between keyboard layouts software-wise, I just have to hit Apple + Space to change the layout, and since I can type qwerty blindly even up to 80-90wpm , the keys might as well be blank. Just getting my dvorak skill up to the same level.

that sounds like the worst idea ever.. I would probably end up throwing my laptop off the balcony

that sounds like the worst idea ever.. I would probably end up throwing my laptop off the balcony

There are inherit benefits to using the dvorak layout (for english), such as much faster typing speed, and less strain on your hands as your fingers travel shorter distances to type. Also with the english language 70% of the typing is done on the home row with the dvorak layout.

I switched about a year ago when I bought the Kinesis Advantage. The commonly-used keys are closer together, so your hands get less tired.
To be frank, it's not really worthwhile unless you spend the entire day in front of the computer and/or have wrist pain from typing.

I switched about a year ago when I bought the Kinesis Advantage. The commonly-used keys are closer together, so your hands get less tired.
To be frank, it's not really worthwhile unless you spend the entire day in front of the computer and/or have wrist pain from typing.

Well, I do spend the entire day in front of the computer so that is what got me thinking about it.

What is your WPM up to on Dvorak?

Wouldn't mind trying it but I'd probably break my keyboard. I'm at ~130-135 WPM with a QWERTY layout, judging by the looks of the Dvorak layout, I'd probably start at like 5.

oreo2.jpg

Course on a mac it's incredibly easy to switch between keyboard layouts software-wise, I just have to hit Apple + Space to change the layout, and since I can type qwerty blindly even up to 80-90wpm , the keys might as well be blank. Just getting my dvorak skill up to the same level.

what's with some of the letters being sideways?

That qualifies me. I am trying to use voice recognition more though. Typing is so 2002.

All of my Unix buddies were into dvorak keyboard layouts in the 90s. Of course they also spent most of their free time compiling their OSes.