Dual Monitor Setup

brokemofo

Feb 10, 2011
I know a lot of you guys already have dual monitor setups, and many of you have more than 2. I just bought a computer than can handle dual monitors and just set it all up. It's pretty awesome and I can't believe I haven't done this sooner as I can multitask a lot easier now.

Question though, how do you get your taskbar (windows 7 specifically) to stretch across both monitors? So the windows that are opened on my secondary monitor minimize to the taskbar on that monitor and not my primary.

I searched Google and found a couple 3rd party applications that allow this, but since a lot of you guys have dual monitor setup, I was hoping you could shed some light on the best way, or recommend a decent program that would allow full functionality as the default taskbar on windows 7 (animations/aero theme, etc..)

Thanks for any help!

x-art_liv_pure_perfection-9-sml.jpg

lia19-perfect-ass1.jpg

perfect-ass-gallery-15.jpg

1243034161029.jpg

I don't think it is possible without a 3rd party taskbar application. Windows XP allowed you to stretch your desktop across both monitors, but you lost the ability to easily maximize a program on just one monitor. The programs on the second monitor would still be mixed with the programs on the first monitor in the taskbar though. Vista/7 no longer allows it as far as I am aware.

I recently moved from dual to triple and have always had the windows taskbar on just one monitor.

I find it's easier to have the task bar on one window, especially with windows7/osx where the taskbar / dock have small icons and don't take up as much room.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't mind the taskbar on just one monitor, but sometimes my icons start to build up as I run a lot of programs at once, and I like to stay as organized as possible.

I came across this, DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar, Multi-Monitor Screen Savers, HotKeys, Multi-Monitor Wallpaper, Windows Logon Changer and more..., just a few seconds ago and now have it up and running (pro trial version). Not the best it could be, but definitely does what I need it to do and helps out.

Now that I think about it though, I rather only have one taskbar, because of aim and skype and other windows that notify you or blink in the taskbar..

Oh well. lol, thanks guys.

I use UltraMon and love it.

Yeah I used ultramon too back when I had dual monitors and I am 99.9% there is a setting that lets you do what you described there. Pretty sure ultramon is the bestest dualscreen program out there.

I use UltraMon and love it.

I looked into that one as well. But after I used the one I mentioned above, I found no point in really needing it. I just wanted to try one out to see if it would be beneficial (not really). After using it I found it easier to have all icons on my main display and use the secondary as extra space for IM/Chatting and when working with multiple applications.

get an app that minimizes windows to the tray and just minimize the windows you dont use much. I use alltray on linux but I'm sure their is something similar for windows.

I looked into that one as well. But after I used the one I mentioned above, I found no point in really needing it. I just wanted to try one out to see if it would be beneficial (not really). After using it I found it easier to have all icons on my main display and use the secondary as extra space for IM/Chatting and when working with multiple applications.

DisplayFusion Trial is still good for managing wallpaper on multiple monitors. I use it just for that. ;)

How about multiple machines rather than just multiple monitors.

My setup is two machines. One is my main development laptop with the laptop screen for depugging and second wide-screen with portrait orientation for coding. Second machine is a desktop PC acting as a file server and as my communications centre (RSS reader, email etc.). The three monitors sit side by side and using the application Multiplicity you can slide your mouse across all three screens and it automatically redirects the keyboard signal to the machine that has the monitor where the mouse is. This makes it just like having a single PC with three screens except its not a single PC so I am kept organised according to where different applications are available and my machines also multitask independently.

It's the only app I've bought specifically for my AM setup that I don't regret spending the money on!!!

How about multiple machines rather than just multiple monitors.

My setup is two machines. One is my main development laptop with the laptop screen for depugging and second wide-screen with portrait orientation for coding. Second machine is a desktop PC acting as a file server and as my communications centre (RSS reader, email etc.). The three monitors sit side by side and using the application Multiplicity you can slide your mouse across all three screens and it automatically redirects the keyboard signal to the machine that has the monitor where the mouse is. This makes it just like having a single PC with three screens except its not a single PC so I am kept organised according to where different applications are available and my machines also multitask independently.

It's the only app I've bought specifically for my AM setup that I don't regret spending the money on!!!

So it's only one pc?

#sarcasm

I do everything in XP

Is your hardware really that shit?