Drink Beer For Big Ideas, Coffee To Get Them Done?

Jimmy Clayton

Feb 26, 2008
I was trying to decide which beer I should go out and buy tonight, and somehow I came across this article...

Drink Beer for Big Ideas, Coffee to Get Them Done

For the TL;DR folks, Beer(alcohol) = increased creativity because of your inability to focus on whats going around you while Coffee = productivity.

Agree or disagree? (Based on personal experience)

I've never really been a big drinker, but I am strongly considering adding in a little more alcohol to my diet during my "creative" time and seeing how it effects me. But then again, my mind tells me beer + work = bad news...

Whatever, this post is stupid.

Here's a picture of a girl licking a wheel...
Stupid-Girls-12.jpg

Yup agree 100%.

Beer: I've only used it a couple times so far as a problem solving tool but if I have a business related issue I can't solve or am missing creativity to bring it all together I drink a couple beers and it always helps me to see more possibilities. Haven't done it in a while though.

As for caffeine I use caffeine pills 200mg and I sometimes take one or maybe two from time to time but I've lost the need to use it in the past year. Don't really know why, I just don't need it anymore and can work hard with no issues with concentration.

I'd say at the height of me needing stimulants to work a lot I generally wasn't in an excellent situation business wise, so I'm thinking the need for supplementation like mentioned here often goes hand in hand with your own well-being.

Couldn't live without either one- beer to relax and let the mind roll, coffee to amp up production.

Not a real big drinker, but it does lube the idea stream at times- trick is writing it down or dictating it so you remember all those grand schemes tomorrow ;)

Excessive beer will result in intestinal candida, a condition ignored by the medical community.

Excessive caffiene will result in adrenal fatigue, a condition ignored by the medical community.

Careful out there bros..

You guys should try nitrous oxide. Only problem is trying to write down your ideas while you're peaking, virtually impossible.

Isn't Nitrous Oxide the shit Vin Diesel / Torettooooo used to make his car go faster in The Fast and the Furious 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6?

How do you use it on a human being?

Excessive beer will result in intestinal candida, a condition ignored by the medical community.

Excessive caffiene will result in adrenal fatigue, a condition ignored by the medical community.

Careful out there bros..
Thanks doc, I'm glad you know nothing about health.

You guys should try nitrous oxide. Only problem is trying to write down your ideas while you're peaking, virtually impossible.

LOL... One of my college buddies' dad was a dentist, we would go to his office and hook up to the N2O...

You can't even stand, much less write!

I was trying to decide which beer I should go out and buy tonight, and somehow I came across this article...

Drink Beer for Big Ideas, Coffee to Get Them Done

For the TL;DR folks, Beer(alcohol) = increased creativity because of your inability to focus on whats going around you while Coffee = productivity.

Agree or disagree? (Based on personal experience)

I've never really been a big drinker, but I am strongly considering adding in a little more alcohol to my diet during my "creative" time and seeing how it effects me. But then again, my mind tells me beer + work = bad news...

Whatever, this post is stupid.

Here's a picture of a girl licking a wheel...
Stupid-Girls-12.jpg

I definitely get more creative and focused if I have a little bit to drink (there is obviously a point of diminishing returns so I have to pace it!). Since becoming self-employed I've been toying with this a bit. Coffee in the early hours, a little alcohol from 6pm on. I think for me the alcohol helps me in fact just focus on what's in front of me at the time and not go scatterbrain on all of the things I have looming over me. I definitely believe that there are some of us who are wired in such a way that alcohol helps.

Oh, and sometimes Irish coffee makes for a great afternoon transition!