DreamHost SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoogleSearchSux

Aug 13, 2008
SF
www.googlesearchsucks.com
Just in case some of you didn't already know. Dreamhost is the worst, I am starting to think they are worse than 1 and 1. At least with 1 and 1 you can get someone on the horn.

On a side note: Does anyone know how to transfer hosts and registrars with minimal down time and as quickly as possible?

What do you expect from shared hosting? Are you going to switch to another shared host and hope for improvements?

Hello friend,

There saying what you pay for you get.

So no expect lot for few dollars month.

Good luck bro

I have a VPS now, but when I was getting started didn't have the funds to go baller. The problem now is that I have a few working campaigns hosted on the shared.

And Sumit... your words of wisdom never cease to amaze me.

remember to backup your databases always.. i didnt do that.. then dreamhost didnt give me it back..so sites info are fucking gone........

Really? I've been using dreamhost for like 4 years now and havn't had a problem. Except when one of my sites got so big (using 2tb a month + over 150,000 impressions a day) it kept crashing the server it was on and they told me I should move to a dedicated server. Support has been fantastic whenever I needed it...

Really? I've been using dreamhost for like 4 years now and havn't had a problem. Except when one of my sites got so big (using 2tb a month + over 150,000 impressions a day) it kept crashing the server it was on and they told me I should move to a dedicated server. Support has been fantastic whenever I needed it...

yeah, right. You DREAM you have HOST like that...

This is exactly what I do to transfer sites with static content between hosts with ZERO downtime:

1. Get all your files, databases, etc. and upload them to your new host.

2. Edit your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts on Vista) to point your domain name to the IP of your account on the new host. Google this if you don't know what I'm talking about - there are a million tutorials.

3. Go to yoursite.com. Test out your site on the new host. Make sure everything works.

4. Point your domain at your new name servers. That's it.

For dynamic sites (forums, social networking sites, etc. anything where users post content), things are a bit more complicated and you're going to go down for a few minutes, so hire a sysadmin to do it for you.

Basically you want to prevent one user from going to yourdomain.com and getting your site on the old host while another one goes to yourdomain.com and gets the site on your new host. This happens because DNS records are cached until they expire - so a user who visits your site just before you transfer it is going to still get the site on the old host, sometimes for up to 72 hours after you've transfered it.

The way you prevent this is by pointing domain name at a temporary DNS server with very low TTL values (300 seconds, for example), and then updating the A records of your domain as soon as you move your site to the new hosting. You then put a message up on the old hosting saying "temporarily offline" for anyone who still has the old A records.

This is exactly what I do to transfer sites with static content between hosts with ZERO downtime:

2. Edit your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts on Vista) to point your domain name to the IP of your account on the new host. Google this if you don't know what I'm talking about - there are a million tutorials.

3. Go to yoursite.com. Test out your site on the new host. Make sure everything works.

For dynamic sites (forums, social networking sites, etc. anything where users post content), things are a bit more complicated and you're going to go down for a few minutes, so hire a sysadmin to do it for you.

Basically you want to prevent one user from going to yourdomain.com and getting your site on the old host while another one goes to yourdomain.com and gets the site on your new host. This happens because DNS records are cached until they expire - so a user who visits your site just before you transfer it is going to still get the site on the old host, sometimes for up to 72 hours after you've transfered it.

The way you prevent this is by pointing domain name at a temporary DNS server with very low TTL values (300 seconds, for example), and then updating the A records of your domain as soon as you move your site to the new hosting. You then put a message up on the old hosting saying "temporarily offline" for anyone who still has the old A records.

Perfect!
Very well explained!

Or.... DNS Made Easy

I also have no problems with Dreamhost; I have two VPS hosts with them and a VPS SQL box as well.

This said, back when I wasn't doing any IM and was just hosting my blogs with them on shared hosting, the shared hosting had really terrible performance quite often. Before I sprung for a VPS, I'd sometimes find my blogs taking 20 seconds to load, which obviously wouldn't be acceptable for running a business.

I've had a DH account since 2001. They've sucked occasionally over the years but nothing past an hr. of downtime (like your mom), most issues are < 10min. No problems with separating DNS records or SQL data. Trying to script php mail to a non-DH email sucks. SquirrelMail is retarded. The webpanel has improved, the current version is very organized and intuitive. They honor referals, I've not paid for some years.

They are not the greatest but if you manage things properly they are a good "free" host to have around.

Status
Not open for further replies.