Downloadable Softwares - Ethics & Laws ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekon1

Aug 24, 2006
question...

Lets say I were to create a piece of software, for example a standalone .exe RSS reader available for FREE download off my site.

In my application, I have a blank area (which appears to be normal) - after offering my free application for one whole year...I decide to fill that blank area with an affiliate offer banner - which is controlled on my end

are there any rules against doing this? I mean, it IS my application I could do whatever I want. But where would I put a disclaimer saying that..."even tho you downloaded this software I can put whatever ad I want"

- Would this disclaimer be on the website itself? or in the installation process?

- good idea? or is this idea flawed?

- is this bad ethics?

:bigear:

Lots of free software downloads are sponsored by ads. Nothing illegal about it. some people might get pissed off, but that is normal and will always happen.

Your idea of getting them possibly hooked on the software before monetizing it is a good one, they are less likely to stop using it after you put in the advertisement.

Yeah, if you put something in the EULA that people are meant to read, but never do and just click Next, then you can do whatever you like.

I heard an urban legend that about 100,000 copies of Win98 shipped with a certain line in the EULA
Just randomly inserted into the EULA it stated that by installing Win98 you agree that you will, upon request, wipe sweat from William Gates III buttock cleavage.
According to the urban legend, it was one of their lawyers checking to see if anyone ever actually read EULAs...

Just make sure you don't put adult stuff, because that really WILL piss people off if they have loaded it onto a work pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.