Don't ignore those ICANN validate contact details any more...

AdamC

╠══════&
Jun 10, 2012
ICANN have now made it so that if the domain owner doesn't validate their details via registrar within 14 days, they are obligated to suspend the domain.

no_domain_for_you.png

As Deadly as a DDoS: ICANN Unleashes the Whois Accuracy Program » blog.easydns.org

Worse than a DDoS? lol, please.

What does ICANN define as valid? working email? Click a link sent to the email on the whois?

WOW that is totally going to fix everything and the 50 million websites with fake whois will instantly dwindle down to 0. /s

This will change absolutely nothing. With the amount of domains that are regged every single day, there is no possible way to force everyone to use real whois info.

Registrar SMS or calls the phone # on file? Use a tracfone
Registrar emails you? Use a free email service
Registrar snail mails you something? Use a PO Box or address you have access to

WTF!! I am going to have to look into this in more detail, horrible decision if it's true. They better prepare for a ton of lawsuits and backlash over this decision.

godaddy had this for long time
no big deal

Godaddy has always reached out to the domain registrar several times; through email, voice and your account portal. It's virtually impossible to not be able to verify your information with them, unless you are a complete fool.

What the piece in question is talking about is instead email notices that go to your account that you physically have to click on that can be easily distinguished as phishing emails, et al. Of course it comes down to implementation and some registrars are better then others **cough cough** netfirms, 1and1.

Namecheap sent me an email notification about this which was in my junk folder.. Found it by accident a few days ago.. fortunately. No notice on their website or in the admin area..

namecheap doesn't require any action, just a reminder for you to check whatever info they already have on file for you for the associated whois... it's the registrars that have to validate the info with ICANN, and my guess is that most registrars will "validate" that whatever they have on file already is fine

namecheap doesn't require any action, just a reminder for you to check whatever info they already have on file for you for the associated whois... it's the registrars that have to validate the info with ICANN, and my guess is that most registrars will "validate" that whatever they have on file already is fine

Hi, what you wrote is true PRIOR to this year, the point of this thread is that things have changed.

https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...spx/9305/5/new-icann-whois-validation-process

If you do not verify within 15 calendar days, the domain will be suspended, the DNS of the domain name will be changed. The domain will resolve into a landing page with the instructions on how the verification can be made and, as a result, the DNS returned to the previous settings and your website restored. Additional notifications are sent 10 and 5 days prior to suspension; shortly before the suspension we are sending the final notice.