Domaining - I need the most obvious question answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

domokun

Oct 4, 2006
I've been trying to look into the whole domaining game recently as I've heard its a good way to diversify your online activities.

Before I get into some of the gems that I've found, I need the most basic question to be answered as all the resources listed below seem to skip this (crucial) part:

To be a domainer:-

Step 1> Buy a Domain
Step 2> Add Value (via Content, PageRank, Logos, Directory Submission, Domain Age etc.)
Step 3> Sell Domain

:question4: Question is, How do you sell a domain?! What's involved with the transfer??

Okay, on with the useful info:

if you’re thinking about getting into trademark typo domaining, the ship has sailed
While the trademark typo domain loophole has closed, a very legitimate and ethical domaining technique is pursuing keyword typo domains.
If you’re looking for a domaining strategy that is longer-term but that can be highly lucrative, you might consider trendwatching. Trendwatching is simply the practice of anticipating popular domains before they become popular. The keys to successful trendwatching are good sources and creativity.
Whether creating new domains or acquiring existing ones, the current trend is to stay away from those domains that have digits and/or hyphens
Taken from:
How To Get Started As A Domainer

Also worth a read:
Hit the Jackpot! How to Find Money-making Domains [Domain Names]

I try to use registrars like Namecheap, eNom, and GoDaddy that offer free "push" services. This saves the buyer transfer fees and is a more enticing buy.

You can list your domain for sale in many ways. First I'd recommend listing it on aftermarkets like SEDO, Afternic, BuyDomains, etc. This will get you some traffic and in cases like SEDO work as a good middleman for the negotiations. The aftermarkets get a ton of traffic on their own from both domainers and retail buyers.

After you list the domain on the aftermarkets, the next step is to actively promote it. If you want the quick sale, post an auction on Digital Point, SitePoint, NamePros, DNforum, and of course here. You'll want to be sure to detail who the registrar is, when the domain expires, any traffic stats, and any revenue stats you may be earning (from AdSense or your parking company). Any PageRank and incoming links the domain has accrued will also increase the valuation. Also be sure to list the details of the sale: when the auction ends, starting price, BIN price, and bid increment price.

Be sure to reserve the right to refuse a sale based on a buyers reputation or geographic location. It can be a little difficult, but not impossible, to transfer ccTLDs based on what country the new owner lives in.

After a clear winner of the sale has been selected, get their payment BEFORE transferring the domain. Once you transfered or pushed the domain out of your account, it's gone and there is no way to recoup your loss if the winner doesn't pay. It's for this reason that it's also important to research your potential buyer and their reputation. After payment has been received, gather the new owners registrant information (Name, company, address, phone number) and account name if using a free push service, and send the domain to their account immediately. If they are transferring to their registrar, unlock your domain and inform them that it is ready for the transfer request.

In both cases, it's also a courtesy to ask if they'd like you to change the DNS settings before sending the domain, because doing so after the transfer can cost another 48 hours or lost time or so.

Hope this helps.

I try to use registrars like Namecheap, eNom, and GoDaddy that offer free "push" services. This saves the buyer transfer fees and is a more enticing buy.

You can list your domain for sale in many ways. First I'd recommend listing it on aftermarkets like SEDO, Afternic, BuyDomains, etc. This will get you some traffic and in cases like SEDO work as a good middleman for the negotiations. The aftermarkets get a ton of traffic on their own from both domainers and retail buyers.

After you list the domain on the aftermarkets, the next step is to actively promote it. If you want the quick sale, post an auction on Digital Point, SitePoint, NamePros, DNforum, and of course here. You'll want to be sure to detail who the registrar is, when the domain expires, any traffic stats, and any revenue stats you may be earning (from AdSense or your parking company). Any PageRank and incoming links the domain has accrued will also increase the valuation. Also be sure to list the details of the sale: when the auction ends, starting price, BIN price, and bid increment price.

Be sure to reserve the right to refuse a sale based on a buyers reputation or geographic location. It can be a little difficult, but not impossible, to transfer ccTLDs based on what country the new owner lives in.

After a clear winner of the sale has been selected, get their payment BEFORE transferring the domain. Once you transfered or pushed the domain out of your account, it's gone and there is no way to recoup your loss if the winner doesn't pay. It's for this reason that it's also important to research your potential buyer and their reputation. After payment has been received, gather the new owners registrant information (Name, company, address, phone number) and account name if using a free push service, and send the domain to their account immediately. If they are transferring to their registrar, unlock your domain and inform them that it is ready for the transfer request.

In both cases, it's also a courtesy to ask if they'd like you to change the DNS settings before sending the domain, because doing so after the transfer can cost another 48 hours or lost time or so.

Hope this helps.

This is golden advice, follow this above outline when selling domains, even more on NP and DNF because if you do not have everything about the domain in your original post you will get yelled at by the police at those sites.

Also if you find a buyer on NP, DNF, DP research there username and email account thats listed in the forum profile or if they give you another email account, because they might have great trader ratings at one site but could be hated and a scammer at another site, just something good to follow so you domain transactions can go smoothly

:)

This is golden advice, follow this above outline when selling domains, even more on NP and DNF because if you do not have everything about the domain in your original post you will get yelled at by the police at those sites.

Also if you find a buyer on NP, DNF, DP research there username and email account thats listed in the forum profile or if they give you another email account, because they might have great trader ratings at one site but could be hated and a scammer at another site, just something good to follow so you domain transactions can go smoothly

:)

Thanks...and nice advice yourself.

BTW - I fired NamePros because they wanted me to list my auctions there exclusively and not on DP at the same time. So the obvious advice would be: Know the rules of the board you are posting on. Forum police can make or break your sale.

Sage like advice, thanks very much.
I'll look into this freepush thing a little more.

Oh, one quick question, I found this tool which "evaluates" the domain name and gives you an approximate price for it. Based on your experience how accuate would you say this tool is?

dnScoop - Domain Name Value, History, Stats Tool and Forums

Aside: It's telling me that my $10 .co.uk domain is worth $200!

Oh, one quick question, I found this tool which "evaluates" the domain name and gives you an approximate price for it. Based on your experience how accuate would you say this tool is?

All automated domain appraisal tools are very inaccurate.

dnScoop, for example, estimated one of my domains at $23 when I've received offers of over $500 for it.

Well, it all depends on the buyer. So you really can't rely on appraisal systems unless there is a human appraiser behind it. Even then they are almost always overrated.

You have two kinds of buyers: retail and wholesale. Retail buyers are usually businesses and entrepreneurs who plan on building a brand behind a domain name. Their interests and planning are typically more involved and therefore they have a much higher pricepoint. Wholesalers are domainers who are looking to park a domain or broker it later. They usually are cutthroat in their pricing negotiations. If you know who your buyer is (sometimes hard to tell) then you can plan your bartering strategy better.

"How can I transfer my domain to a new owner? What is the cost? For ownership transfers of a domain, the procedure varies by registrar.
Many registrars offer a free “push”, which allows you to immediately move a domain into another customer’s account. This method is becoming more common among registrars as it is preferred by domain resellers.
Other registrars may charge a fee, from $3 to $200 to change the owner on a domain and may involve signed paperwork in the procedure.
If the procedure for ownership transfer involves a fee or is overly complicated, another option is to transfer the domain to a different registrar before performing an ownership transfer."

Taken from: http://domainrealty.info/blog/the_domainers_faq/

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.