Domain Sale, am I missing something?

DaveLL

Sep 22, 2010
I just finished selling yearbook / media (dot) com for $5000 on Escrow.com

The guy emailed me out of the blue, asked me if I wanted to sell it, offered 5k and I agreed.

I can't help but think I really lucked out here, or am I missing something re: value and have got screwed?

Im curious to know how yearbookmedia is worth $5000 :p

Must be some sort of highschool yearbook company.....

Maybe you got screwed. How could you know?

Let me speak from one of the worst experiences of my young life:
I registered CamRoulette.com the exact same night I heard about ChatRoulette, which was sometime last December. I had originally planned to make a clone site, but got very busy with my marketing. The domain sat, nothing came of it.

One day I was offered $700 for the domain. I was stunned and surprised and immediately agreed, just like you. The next morning, I was offered $1200. I don't know what made me think it was right, but I instead agreed to that deal and then immediately pushed the domain and made the transaction. I then told the original buyer that also I said he can have the domain in an email, I found a better offer that next morning.

One month later, the domain resold for $151,000.
Very shortly after, I was hit with a $150,300 lawsuit. (This is extra detail not exactly relevant to your situation, but that just goes to show how serious things get, I suppose.)

I would never, ever agree to sell a domain in the same 3-day span that I get an offer like that. Give it some time to marinate. There's a reason he offered so much, probably.

Maybe you got screwed. How could you know?

Let me speak from one of the worst experiences of my young life:
I registered CamRoulette.com the exact same night I heard about ChatRoulette, which was sometime last December. I had originally planned to make a clone site, but got very busy with my marketing. The domain sat, nothing came of it.

One day I was offered $700 for the domain. I was stunned and surprised and immediately agreed, just like you. The next morning, I was offered $1200. I don't know what made me think it was right, but I instead agreed to that deal and then immediately pushed the domain and made the transaction. I then told the original buyer that also I said he can have the domain in an email, I found a better offer that next morning.

One month later, the domain resold for $151,000.
Very shortly after, I was hit with a $150,300 lawsuit. (This is extra detail not exactly relevant to your situation, but that just goes to show how serious things get, I suppose.)

I would never, ever agree to sell a domain in the same 3-day span that I get an offer like that. Give it some time to marinate. There's a reason he offered so much, probably.

What was the result of that lawsuit

What was the result of that lawsuit
That's not something I can discuss but based on some of these bloggers' biased point of views, you can probably conjure up a pretty solid hypothesis: Domain Name Wire » News » Lawsuit Against Original CamRoulette.com Owner Settled - The Domain Industry's News Source

I don't want to make this thread about myself though, just take into consideration that when an offer like that is put out on the table, an hourglass (usually) does not immediately start.

That's not something I can discuss but based on some of these bloggers' biased point of views, you can probably conjure up a pretty solid hypothesis: Domain Name Wire » News » Lawsuit Against Original CamRoulette.com Owner Settled - The Domain Industry's News Source

I don't want to make this thread about myself though, just take into consideration that when an offer like that is put out on the table, an hourglass (usually) does not immediately start.

ah my bad. Good advice though for OP

Yeah, well I assumed the guy was buying it with someone else lined up or something to pay more. I would probably be a little sad if I found out it was sold for over 100k, but I wouldn't really feel bad if I found out it was sold for like 15 - 20k, I just don't have the network or ability to make that kinda sale and I am happy with what I got for it.