Domain capitalization or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

productionhead

Jul 14, 2007
Infinity
I found that having lower cased display URLs in PPC ads yields higher CTRs in google search. Whats everyone else strategy on this?

(the SERPs have urls that are never capitalized, when i started off with a campaign i had one adgroup to MyDomainLikeThis.Co.UK, then I made another adgroup and forgot how I did the other and so it was like mydomainlikethis.co.uk)

I saw that adgroup getting higher CTR but I couldn't figure out why. I then saw it was the different in display URL. lower capitalized urls mimic serp results so people are less inclined to think its an ad.. thats my theory

hope this helps someone

^ Thats true, but even Google and Facebook seem to think the opposite:

mega1mx1.jpg

mega22nk9.jpg

I've seen it go either way depending on the campaign.

Also, try split testing having "www." in front of the URL and without. Results varied across campaigns and Google vs. YSM, but the numbers didnt lie. 14% of people know thats statistics are always right 90% of the time.

I split test the following, at a minimum:

www. MyDomain.com
www. mydomain.com
mydomain.com
MyDomain.com

And occasionally, I'll try throwing in the keyword into the URL such as:

keyword.mydomain.com
mydomain.com/keyword
www. mydomain.com/keyword
KeyWord.MyDomain.com
MyDomain.com/KeyWord
www. MyDomain.com/KeyWord

I'll also add that there's no magic rule about what works best. While users may generally prefer URLs that look like actual URLs (no capitalization, with www), capitalization or appending a keyword as a sub-domain or directory have helped some of my campaigns that I thought were at their highest CTR already.

Status
Not open for further replies.