Does googl automatically bid for me up to my max bid for the KW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchap

Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Hello. I'm pretty new to affiliate marketing. Just launched my first ad campaign yesterday. I had a question about max bid for KWs. Say my max bid for a kw is .50 cents. The charge is only .29 cents for the #1 spot. Obviously I'd be #1 in Google but will I be charged the full .50 cents or does Google automatically raise my bid up to .50 cents?

Wow I didn't know wickedfire was this hostile. I always heard good things about it. I'm just here trying to learn like everyone else. Trying to get answers. I thought I could come here and post shit like this. Was I wrong? I prepared these questions so I wouldn't waste my time, or yours. Each question is completely different from each other and deserves a separate thread so people could help quicker. I only posted these questions after NOT finding them via search.

Hostile = Entertainment here. This is a strange place. If you survive, you will learn.

Lot's of folks here live in basements without windows and their people skills get rusty. Get used to it.

Thanks for the heads-up alexa7. I've been browsing a lot more and am starting to take notice. Can you help me with my question? Does Google automatically bid for me up to my max bid for a particular kw or does it automatically charge me my max bid when somebody clicks?

Well, I still browsed the forums before I posted these questions, but now I'm getting deeper into this maze. And thanks bofu.

Its like bidding on ebay, however, just because you have the highest bid does not mean that you will show up on the top spot. G also takes into account your kw quality score and your campaign history.

just because you have the highest bid does not mean that you will show up on the top spot.

You sure?

Err, what I think you meant to say was that someone could be paying less and be in a higher position than you. However, if you bid way above everyone else you will most likely show up in #1.

You sure?

Err, what I think you meant to say was that someone could be paying less and be in a higher position than you. However, if you bid way above everyone else you will most likely show up in #1.

I am assuming that is what Google means when it explains QS -
For calculating a keyword-targeted ad's position on a search result page:
  • The historical CTR of the ad, the ad's display URL, and the matched keyword on Google; CTR on the Google Network is not considered
  • The relevance of the keyword and ad to the search query
  • Your account history, which is measured by the CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
  • Other relevance factors
Correct me if I am wrong.

No you're not wrong, but still, if you bid way above everyone else you will be in the top position (though, not necessarily profitable).

Aight. So the pattern I've noticed is that it tends to hover near the lowest possible bid at the highest possible position.
So if you're at #3, and your ad performs well, it will switch you to spot #2 before lowering your CPC(it will most likely be near the same).
If you want to ice in a lower CPC, use the position preferences to lock yourself in lower, and you'll see the CPC go down. or wait until you hit #1, then it will dip a bit so long as there's no "up and comers".

If you want to ice in a lower CPC, use the position preferences to lock yourself in lower, and you'll see the CPC go down. or wait until you hit #1, then it will dip a bit so long as there's no "up and comers".

So there is a way to "lock in" a position for your ads? This would be great for seeing what position performs the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.