Does a dropped domain retain its link juice?

oxygenmat

Jun 3, 2015
Hello everyone!

I want to buy an expired domain name to build a niche site in the blogging/website setup niche. I use domcop.com to search. On this site, the domains are categorized as:

1) Expiring Domains - These are domains that will be expiring within the next 10 days
2) Expired Domains - These are domains that have already expired in the last 10 days
3) Archived Domains - These are all currently available domains that expired more than 10 days ago

My question is, do you think an "expired" or "archived" domain as defined above will still retain its link juice? Will Google not know that such a domain has got a new owner?

Thanks for your help?

Of course the link juice is there. Backlinks are there -> their juice is there.

How Google will count them - is already another story. Maybe you'll build shitty or irrelevant site on this domain, then these links won't work this well anymore.

Of course the link juice is there. Backlinks are there -> their juice is there.

How Google will count them - is already another story. Maybe you'll build shitty or irrelevant site on this domain, then these links won't work this well anymore.

Thanks golan. So even if the domain had dropped and I'm able to register it for free from any registrar, the link juice is still intact? :banana_sml:

Is there any situation I should beware of where the link juice would have been discounted by Google?

Read about expiration period and redemption period in wikipedia (to make it short - you have to wait for 65-85 days (depending on the domain Registrar and TLD). Also keep in mind that backlinks lead to PAGES or CONTENT which is HOSTED somewhere, and hosting packages for expired& redempted domains are usually cancelled, so you pretty much risk buying a bag of dying links, which will lose all its juice with time. Building a shitty or irrelevant website also counts a lot, as Golan said.

To tell you the truth, the best backlinks are the ones you create yourself. PBN's are dead since 2012 and trying to use this tactics now... well... do not expect much.

You just lost the age, if the links are still live they will be valued by google. Just check if backlinks quality, if the backlinks are all spams, there is a high chance that the domain was banned. So google might never recrawl it back but there is no way to tell now.

Link Juice would definitely be there, it is very effective thing to buy recently expired domain who have many backlinks and is pretty much established by its previous owner. However you must use that domain name for a similar niche website, otherwise it would not be very effective.