Do servers keep backups of your data?

iwodaveh

Jul 15, 2009
Florida
So my hosting expired in Jan this year, and since I been blogged down with personal troubles, couldn't renew it.

So yesterday when I wanted to get a backup of the data (from hostgator) the rep tells me that since the package has expired, all the data is wiped off. I find that hard to believe especially since its hostgator, and the package expired just 2 months ago. I had the wp backup plugin installed (so I know the exact folder where they were stored), or I'm sure hostgator, being the big company they are, can email me a small backup too - I dont mind paying the $15 they ask.

The rep tells me - 'We are selling space so keeping old backups is counter intuitive to that'

You believe them? Can I still get a backup?

Probs dun fucked yourself in the ass. One can not help but question the signifigance or lack of it if you let it expire.

I doubt anyone will keep backup more than 2 weeks after account expired. If they still had it they would give it back to you.

I would just believe them since you let the your account to expire. I don't see any way you can get a backup.

7SHSg.png

If it was important you'd at least have weeklies backed up to Google drive, a Dropbox account, AWS, or something other than using the same location as the rest of your data at your hosting company. You're well past the grace period that any hosting company is going to give you, so chalk it up to experience and move on.

When you log in to hostgator, is there an option to restore service? (by paying)

In the past, when I used them, I'm sure I could re-instate the service for about 6 months? I may be thinking of another host though pretty sure it was HG.

failing that, you could try archive.org or google/bing cache to try and rebuild the site.

When you log in to hostgator, is there an option to restore service? (by paying)

In the past, when I used them, I'm sure I could re-instate the service for about 6 months? I may be thinking of another host though pretty sure it was HG.

failing that, you could try archive.org or google/bing cache to try and rebuild the site.
I wouldn't recommend this. Honestly, as Fatbat mentioned use the experience and learn from it. Don't let it happen again (or at least get 3-5 years on at a time)

Start checking google cache with site: command + waybackmachine

You might be still in time to grab some of your content off google cache.

Now get to fucking work; and don't touch the coffee; coffee is for closers motherfucker.