Do I need to be careful buying an aged domain name? More info inside.

writtenstyle

newbie taking action
Nov 3, 2008
I was looking to start an ecommerce site. The average SEO competition for the keywords is around 500-1200 backlinks and PR3 sites, and the sites are 6-10 years old.

I was thinking about getting an aged domain or premium domain but I was wondering if there was a downside to this.

I found several domains with the main keyword in them with ages of 7-10 years old. The problem is, none of them have PR. That sounds a little odd that a domain can be 8 years old and have no PR.

I really like a couple of these domains and they are cheap, I just dont want to accidently buy a domain that might have a penalty. I dont know, I suspect google doesnt like parked domains for sale? I dont know, that's why I am in the newbie section.

The domains are in the serps, but have 0 backlinks.

Thanks

I just thought in 10 years it would have accidently got backlinks. I went back and looked at wayback machine and one was a real website for a few years. The others have always ben parked for sale.

That's why I asked the question in the Newbie Section, duh!

Just a point to throw out there: PR can be faked. That domain could be 301'ing to a site with PR, then once you buy it - the PR goes away.

There's a lot of uncertainty in buying aged domains. I honestly wouldn't do it unless it is a name you couldn't pass up or was a real gem with a ton of backlinks with keywords in a niche you are looking to target.

Everyone who's bought an aged domain will, at some point or another, find one that's been blacklisted and just won't get indexed. That's why most just buy new ones.

Just a point to throw out there: PR can be faked. That domain could be 301'ing to a site with PR, then once you buy it - the PR goes away.

There's a lot of uncertainty in buying aged domains. I honestly wouldn't do it unless it is a name you couldn't pass up or was a real gem with a ton of backlinks with keywords in a niche you are looking to target.

Everyone who's bought an aged domain will, at some point or another, find one that's been blacklisted and just won't get indexed. That's why most just buy new ones.

Thank. That is what I expected.

Isnt it going to be a lot more dificult competing with a brand new site with no backlinks, vs. sites that are 8 years old, PR3's and have 500-1200 backlinks?

I thought the age would give me a leg up.

Thank. That is what I expected.

Isnt it going to be a lot more dificult competing with a brand new site with no backlinks, vs. sites that are 8 years old, PR3's and have 500-1200 backlinks?

I thought the age would give me a leg up.

It will take some time but it's not impossible. Also depends on if those sites are targeting the keyword or just happen to rank because of their authority

Read all the history of the domain you want to purchase.
Try do discover if it's been used for scam/spam activities in the past years. This is the only problem you could face.