Do AM's care about CPA polling-style sites?

Truffles

Apr 20, 2009
I was about to ask my AM about whether there are issues with running a polling style site for an email submit but figured I'd ask here first before I raise any red flags with her since I have other stuff running with them that I'd like to avoid closer inspection of.

So standard setup, ask some dumbass polling question "Does Twilight Suck? Answer now and be entered to win a $500 gift card!" and pass them through to email submit page to submit/convert. Due to my traffic approach with this campaign I will NOT be direct linking.

Are AM's and merchants in general pretty ok with this setup? I won't be full/partial iframing anything.

Hey Truffles,

Poll style sites aren't always forbidden. There are two things you should take into consideration. First, check the campaign notes. Some merchants do not want poll style sites used to generate traffic to their campaigns. Second, make sure your poll question isn't misleading.

Your example of "Does Twilight Suck? Answer now and be entered to win a $500 gift card!" isn't too bad, but "Does Twilight Suck? Answer now and get a chance to win a $500 gift card!" would be better because they aren't really being entered just by the vote.

This would be no good: "Does Twilight Suck? Answer now to get a $500 gift card!"

Steve, thanks for the insight. Checking the campaign notes is a no-brainer but I was wondering about whether my example copy was too vague about the action they needed to take to enter and I do see the distinction between mine and "get a chance to win."

Given your unique position when it comes to discussing CPA offers, would you say poll sites tend to have higher scrub levels or advertiser complaints (per flysarescary's comment) due to quality issues when compared to other CPA landing page formats?

Given your unique position when it comes to discussing CPA offers, would you say poll sites tend to have higher scrub levels or advertiser complaints (per flysarescary's comment) due to quality issues when compared to other CPA landing page formats?
Yes, they do. Back-end conversions are lower for the merchant as a higher percentage of people who come from poll sites abandon the signup process after they enter their e-mail address. Also, email submit merchants had their asses kicked a year or so ago by some state AG's. They had to change their creatives, their landing pages and in some cases paid fines. So, they can sometimes be very touchy about how their campaigns are promoted.

Fair enough. So based on your experience, what steps can an affiliate take to improve the quality of the submits they are sending through? Obviously I'm not asking for specific examples but just general things like, what sorts of disclaimers/instructions should be made up front to someone so they know what they are getting into, etc.

At the end of the day if affiliates are better informed about how to improve the quality of their submits then I would say everybody wins (well, except those who get by with misleading submits).

Don't worry about the lead quality of email/zip submits. As long as you're not filling out the leads or putting incentive traffic through a non incent offer, you'll be fine.

edit: Forgot to mention that Neverblue hates poll sites.

Don't worry about the lead quality of email/zip submits. As long as you're not filling out the leads or putting incentive traffic through a non incent offer, you'll be fine.

edit: Forgot to mention that Neverblue hates poll sites.

How did you come to that conclusion about Neverblue if you don't mind my asking? Do you have any recos for networks that are ok with them? Based on Steve's responses I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that MaxBounty is cool with them...

How did you come to that conclusion about Neverblue if you don't mind my asking? Do you have any recos for networks that are ok with them? Based on Steve's responses I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that MaxBounty is cool with them...
That's a safe limb to go out on. If you aren't being deceptive, it's just another way to drive traffic to an e-mail submit. Of course, as I stated earlier, some merchants don't want that stuff and you have to check the campaign notes.

I can't speak for NB, but I'd guess they hate poll sites because poll sites have been abused extensively in the past and it's easier to just say no than to deal with the compliance issues.

Fair enough. So based on your experience, what steps can an affiliate take to improve the quality of the submits they are sending through? Obviously I'm not asking for specific examples but just general things like, what sorts of disclaimers/instructions should be made up front to someone so they know what they are getting into, etc.

At the end of the day if affiliates are better informed about how to improve the quality of their submits then I would say everybody wins (well, except those who get by with misleading submits).
There are many things that can be done to improve quality, but I'll list a couple general ones. You should not be deceptive in your ad copy. Don't take what's provided by the network and butcher it just to improve your CTR. If you do that, you will get more leads, but the quality will be lower and you'll wind up getting pulled from the offer.

Also, try to target the ad to a demographic that is more likely than not to go through the merchant's regpath. For example, if you target a Twilight e-mail submit to a bunch of 13 year old girls, sure they'll enter their e-mails, but they won't get very far into the regpath or won't be suitable for the regpath offers, so the back-end quality will suck and you'll get pulled from the offer.

Thanks for the thoughts on that Steve. While I'm not new to internet marketing by any means I am new to promoting CPA offers. That said, while I'm familiar with email submits that then put you down a regpath that typically requires sign-up for different offers, are there email submits available that DON'T follow that standard format? Ie. maybe some that just market on the backend via email etc. Or do they all tend to require sign-up for multiple programs to complete the offer?