Ditching CPM for Affiliate Income

montydad5000

Running with Scissors
Feb 16, 2008
MD, USA
So here's the deal. My website / blog is now getting over 350,000 page views per month.

I'm currently running CPM ads through advertising.com, Technorati Media, etc. At most, I'm getting $0.50 - $1.50 CPM.

So I'm thinking instead of making peanuts, I should run some CPA offers that will convert like crazy.

I've never had too much success in that arena, my thing is SEO and traffic generation.

Given that my audience is your typical "entertainment news" seeking demo, what offers do you think would convert?

I'm willing to provide some free advertising on the site to anyone who wants to chime in here or PM me with some suggestions / ideas. Thanks in advance, fuckers.

I used to run one of those online movie portals like OvGuide and two things that worked was adding a tell a friend form mailer that sent out the tell a friend message with a Netflix or Dish Network CPA offer.

Another thing I did was write a brief editorial message on every page giving a solid review of Dish Network with a contextual aff link. This was four years ago, so hot offers for video may be different now. I was also running clixsor ads on the site for about 13-30 bucks a day and that's only for about 2K visitors a day. (I shut down the site the second month up when I found out how hard the film companies come down on American based sites like that).

Maybe I'd go for other news offers, like news subscription offers. Also depending on the age you may want to throw in funny quizzes or political spectrum offers that only give results after some Action.

You could always go with a financial offer or two that offer a high payout. PayDays, Student Loans, and Debt Reduction are a good route to go.

Wish I can offer more mate.

Was also going to mention games.. depends on the demo of the site though.. if you want to give me a bit more detail via pm (specifically what's the domain?), I'll be able to give you better input.

What verticals are the current CPM ads? That should give you at least a clue as to what type of ads can make you the most money.

Also what are the demographics? Entertainment sites can be geared towards males or females, and young people or old people. A young female entertainment site would probably do really good with MyWebFace or IMVU. An old male entertainment site might do better with a bizop.

About 350,000 page views per month.

That's not a lot of traffic...

To really make monies you have to invest time in testing niches, offers, ads and LPs, this is not just slapping on some AdSense. If you are going to do that you might as well become a real media buyer and monetize inventory of similar sites - chances are they might do better than your own audience for the campaigns where you invest your time to optimize.

If you do not want to go through the hassle just keep shopping for better ad networks to sell your inventory to the highest bidder.

Media buying and media selling are different businesses :)

Fleshlight ad --> review page
Force Factor --> review page
Tired of Annoying Popups bannner? ---> review page on registry optimizer
just set up like 20 to rotate and pick a winner that way