Didn't know Detroit is that bad...

yukFVlb.jpg

There are plenty of lush, green gardens in Detroit. But they are growing in places where roads used to be.

Detroit is a strange place. I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and still spend a lot of time downtown when I visit my family. Certain parts of Detroit are absolutely great. Around Greektown, Comerica and Ford Field etc. Lots of fun to be had and very friendly Midwestern people [for the most part]. If you have never been to a Red Wings game you haven't experienced true hockey fandom. Sure, you shouldn't go walking around blocks you don't know late at night, but Chicago is no different. Then of course you have the dead zones of Detroit. You can easily find yourself in an area that looks straight out of the Walking Dead. It's very sad. Detroit has a lot to offer that outsiders never get to see. Michigan is a beautiful state and Detroit has so much potential, it's sad to see what has become of the once elite city.

Detroit is a strange place. I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and still spend a lot of time downtown when I visit my family. Certain parts of Detroit are absolutely great. Around Greektown, Comerica and Ford Field etc. Lots of fun to be had and very friendly Midwestern people [for the most part]. If you have never been to a Red Wings game you haven't experienced true hockey fandom. Sure, you shouldn't go walking around blocks you don't know late at night, but Chicago is no different. Then of course you have the dead zones of Detroit. You can easily find yourself in an area that looks straight out of the Walking Dead. It's very sad. Detroit has a lot to offer that outsiders never get to see. Michigan is a beautiful state and Detroit has so much potential, it's sad to see what has become of the once elite city.

Anytime I show people around Detroit they're amazed at how much different it is than they imagined. But that's because I know my way around and am able to avoid the other 90% the city. Stick to Downtown/Midtown/Corktown and even the Eastern Market area and it's all good. Venture out into the the neighborhoods and well then you're on your own.

It's fun though to take people to the dead zones where it looks like something out of the Apocalypse. People start to get nervous until you explain to them that the area is actually safe since it's completely and utterly abandoned. Except for the wild pheasants of course.

Anytime I show people around Detroit they're amazed at how much different it is than they imagined. But that's because I know my way around and am able to avoid the other 90% the city. Stick to Downtown/Midtown/Corktown and even the Eastern Market area and it's all good. Venture out into the the neighborhoods and well then you're on your own.

It's fun though to take people to the dead zones where it looks like something out of the Apocalypse. People start to get nervous until you explain to them that the area is actually safe since it's completely and utterly abandoned. Except for the wild pheasants of course.

My out of town friends always get the giggles when I am rolling through red lights in the dead zones. They just can't wrap their mind around the fact that the cops simply won't give a shit, if you ever end up seeing one that is.

The area around Comerica still had a lot of life, but go 3 or 4 blocks, and everything is abandoned.

What was rally wild was, right in the middle of the jungle, there was a GM lot with about 1,000 new cars. It was surrounded by double electric fences and razor wire.