Did you know how to design when starting PPC?

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
So all my money online has been made in product/service development and SEO however I'm looking to expand my skillset as the opportunity to work online fulltime comes nearer (looking to go fulltime straight out of graduation this next semester).

While I've got the basics to PS down, i am a bit concerned that my skills aren't where they need to be while getting started in PPC. So how many of you were proficient in designing when starting out?

I'm aware that I can direct link with certain traffic sources, however it seems that is becoming a less prevalent thing in the industry. My lack of designing ability is the one reason I haven't taken the plunge completely and I can't justify outsourcing an LP design at this point since I'm unsure of what to look for in a moderate to successful offer/campaign.

When just starting out or learning a new skill, I do everything myself the first time around to get a good understanding of how everything works and the little nuances and intricacies. I do this so I can better delegate tasks to outsourcers and anticipate issues that will come up.

If you want to be an internet marketer, having good design skills is certainly helpful. It is great to be able to quickly design and test stuff without having to wait on other people. If you are a sick web designer, and a good marketer, you will have a lot of advantages in speed and flexibility.

Interestingly enough a lot of people in this industry believe that "non-professional looking" banner ads perform better. In terms of websites though, you always want them to look as classy and legit as possible.

Focus exclusively on your strongest skill set (e.g. market research, campaign planning, copywriting) and outsource the rest. Otherwise, you're getting in your own way to progress.

You can have a designer build you out a landing page for $100... or less... or more. That same landing page (if you were even able to get it as good as a designer's) would probably take you many more days to complete than if you farmed it out.

How much profit would you lose by starting your campaign, say, a week later, two weeks??

You have to think in terms of opportunity cost and resist the urge to be a jack of all trades. It took me a few years to get that when I started out.

Focus exclusively on your strongest skill set (e.g. market research, campaign planning, copywriting) and outsource the rest. Otherwise, you're getting in your own way to progress.

You can have a designer build you out a landing page for $100... or less... or more. That same landing page (if you were even able to get it as good as a designer's) would probably take you many more days to complete than if you farmed it out.

How much profit would you lose by starting your campaign, say, a week later, two weeks??

You have to think in terms of opportunity cost and resist the urge to be a jack of all trades. It took me a few years to get that when I started out.

Definitely understandable, thanks a ton for your advice as well. I am familiar with PPC utilizing it for my Ecommerce stores, however those obviously don't require a typical affiliate-esque landing page. With that said I typically will see a 6-33% ad ctr when optimized.

I've read over the nicky cakes guide for affiliate PPC, are there any other reading recommendation you all can make in terms of potential longevity of an offer, selecting an offer, etc?

It's tough though at first.
Outsourcing and managing "employees" is a skill within itself.
If you find someone real good hold on to them.

It's funny, one thing I find bizarre, is the kind of mistakes and misinterpretations foreign employees will make because of the language and culture barrier. I find you have to really lay out tasks for them and be very brief, specific, and clear.

For example if you tell your designer to "use an attractive picture" , you may be quite shocked and horrified at what they choose. If you find someone that vibes with you on this level, pay them more then they ask.

If you're thinking from a drawing perspective:

I was originally intimidated by web/graphics design because I lacked the skill of decent drawing. I saw plenty of others draw amazing things, much better than me, even after I took a few art courses.

Designing pages is actually much different. Honestly, some decent photos, straight lines, matching color schemes (gradients especially), drop shadows, and perhaps "shiny" buttons can seriously make an outstanding page. (personally I love ground reflections - they look clean as fuck)

I honestly feel like there is a thin line between a 1990's style page and a today's page. (graphic wise)

If you look back at old school sites, they all seem to have hard colors and gaudy color schemes. Make your colors match and blend, perhaps outsource a nice logo if you need to, and simply get after it. There are plenty of tutorials online to walk you through.

That's just my personal outlook, I'm sure plenty of designers would disagree.

Also, look up the 960 Grid System. Makes organizing layouts much easier.