Dedicated IP Host - need recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindpete

Jun 29, 2006
Fairfax VA USA
www.rolldamage.com
Hello All,

This is a big plunge for me and I need some advice. I have a client who currently uses a shared IP address and has frequent problems with ISPs blocking their emails.

The client has reached the point where they are ready to make a change to a dedicated IP.

I found: http://www.lunarpages.com/plan3.php @ 99/month.

I did several searches and lots of people provide the service, but they are not known to me.

The client's needs are pretty light:
- 1GB bandwidth per month <- current load
- 2GB Storage
- LAMPP stack

Any recommendations or horror stories welcome.

what you posted is a dedicated server and complete overkill for your needs, you can find what you want for under $20

www.dotable.com is good, and provides 5 dedicated IPs.

You could always look for reseller accounts too as they usually provide you at least 2 IP's but the dotable deals look good, don't have any experience with the company though.

Most regular hosts offer a unique IP, even if it's not on the feature list. You got to ask. Sometimes they charge you an extra buck a month. IMO, worth it. But most allow you to add domains for free, but all on the same IP.

Pair.net gives you a unique IP for every domain you add to your account. They're very "no-frills" though.

dotable's 5 IP offer does look interesting, short of getting a reseller account, and I do like the hosting with CPanel/WHM. Will give them a look for the next site.

Yes I contacted the host and for 2.50/mon they will give my client a dedicated IP. Where as that's expensive compared to dotable. The transition will be relatively painless for me. The host will move the account and I'll have to update the DNS.

I bookmarked dotable and will check out pair.net too.

I also find dotables 5 IPs very attractive... I have a project coming up and I'm going to give them a try soon. Thanks Rob! a prestige bump for you!

blindpete said:
Yes I contacted the host and for 2.50/mon they will give my client a dedicated IP. Where as that's expensive compared to dotable. The transition will be relatively painless for me. The host will move the account and I'll have to update the DNS.

I bookmarked dotable and will check out pair.net too.

I also find dotables 5 IPs very attractive... I have a project coming up and I'm going to give them a try soon. Thanks Rob! a prestige bump for you!
No problem.. they are an excellent company. The owner has been doing this for a number of years. It's a smaller company so the support is more "personal" :) They have a special going on now as well.. order by July 30 and you get three months free.

Why would I need a unique IP?

"But most allow you to add domains for free, but all on the same IP."

I am looking at midPhase for hosting 1 domain now and maybe 10 domains in the future.

Would hosting multiple domains on a single shared IP affect anything like SEO?

What are the dangers of hosting multiple domains on a single shared IP?

TIA,

x

there's nothing wrong with shared IPs, though if you have several sites on that same IP, and they link to each other, those links may be discounted by search engines as a network.

Also, if someone else who is sharing that IP gets it in hot water for some reason (spamming, etc.), you can be affected.

clearly millions of websites do fine on shared IPs. I don't like the risk.

Rob - you got some affiliate id or something with dotable? I may be moving to them as it is now a week with my current host not responding to 2 support tickets I raised.

Rob said:
No problem.. they are an excellent company. The owner has been doing this for a number of years. It's a smaller company so the support is more "personal" :) They have a special going on now as well.. order by July 30 and you get three months free.

Status
Not open for further replies.