Decent Computer Speakers/Monitors?

JamesH

Jun 25, 2006
I came here looking for some new headphones and based on the responses I purchased a set of Sure SE210's and they fucking rock so I'm coming back for some advice on new speakers. I'm not really sure what to look for, however the M-Audio AV40 and Klipsch Promedia 2.1 look nice (not sure about sound). Budget is around $100-$150 and they need to plug directly into a MBP 'classic'. Thanks bros

My logitech speakers make my neighbors want to kick my ass. They're loud and very clear. Great 5.1 surround, as well.

I have these Harman Kardon Soundsticks ii [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Harman-SoundSticks-II-Multimedia-Speaker/dp/B0001DBEM4"]Harman Kardon Soundsticks ii[/ame]

The sound is amazing. The sub is very good too and has the blue led light inside for extra coolness.

Can't go too wrong with the M-Audio. Otherwise look at some of the Creative gigaworks speakers. They are quite nice. I have a Creative 7.1 setup but it doesn't look like are doing any 7.1 setups these days.

2.1 stereo solution right at the limit of your budget at $150 (a friend has some of these and they are really nice)...

GigaWorks T40 Series II | Creative Labs Online Store

5.1 setup at $80 that I've sure won't disappoint...

Inspire T6160 | Creative Labs Online Store

I've also owned Logitech and Altec Lansing speakers and I was happy with both.

do you need surround? I'd rather have a great 2.1 than a mediocre 5.1.

Z-2300 2.1 Speaker System

that's what I have. You can find them for like $110, and they are absolutely phenomenal. Best 2.1 I've heard, especially for the price.

Check out Audio Engine A5's or Swans MKII. I have the A5's and absolutely love the tonal range although they can be considered a bit "bright" to some.

yeah, but:

Budget is around $100-$150

Well, he said he was looking at the M-Audio AV40s, even though they retail for about $200.

M-AUDIO - Studiophile AV 40 - Desktop Speaker System

For the same price you could also pick up a pair of KRK Rokit 6s from a reputable ebay seller which have more than twice the power and will certainly sound better...

KRK Rokit Powered 6 Generation 2 Studio Monitor - eBay (item 140372433979 end time Jan-13-10 14:23:03 PST)

Edit: Actually, my bad, that is for a single speaker.

Yea I'm definitely down for some Rokit's but they aren't in my price range. I'm looking for a simple 2.0 or 2.1 system, and I'll probably end up going the M-Audio route.