datafeed vs content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Jun 24, 2006
www.helpforwebmasters.com
What are your thoughts on data feed sites from merchants opposed to content site or any other form of content generation on AM style sites.

I'm curious what the hard core data feed users think are the advantages of using data feeds over anything else and I'm curious why the anti data feed people say to avoid them.

why? I'm interested in why people like them or dont like them

[off topic]
great work on those articles Dave :) great to see an Aussie getting up there. I hope you win one of those 10 sites from Jon.
[/off topic]

Datafeeds are little to no maintenance but can get banned by Google, and are sometimes tough to get traffic to. Content sites require maintenance but usually are easier to drive traffic to.

Datafeeds are basically duplicate content.

If, however, you can make them into unique content...

Nathan said:
why? I'm interested in why people like them or dont like them

[off topic]
great work on those articles Dave :) great to see an Aussie getting up there. I hope you win one of those 10 sites from Jon.
[/off topic]

don't know much bout data feeds, but all i can say, variety is the spice of life ;)

[off topic]
[/off topic]

So what about companies through various AM programs that offer data feeds? Sure just about everyone would have the same content as a result, so ho wdo you deal with that?

Before anyone attacks me here, I'm trying to spark debate :)

The general consensus on most other webmaster sites seems to be that the days of good returns on datafeed sites are long gone but someone must be making some money off them as the merchants keep making them available.

Is it a case of using Adwords or Overture to get traffic for them as the SEs seem to bomb them out of the SERPs as quickly as they get indexed?

Datafeeds are nice as a booster to your unique content. By themsevles the don't work as well because of duplicate content.

The best way to get around this is set something up where you always add your own text to a feeds content. Maybe output the feed info but add your text to the end of the feed content.

Status
Not open for further replies.