Databases for spinning/ad-libbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

icwkd

Jun 22, 2009
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a custom spinner, and I'd like to include some databases ala datapresser. Synonym databases are easy to find (word net), but it wouldn't be easy to gather and organize all of the desirable focused databases.

For those who do not understand what exactly I am talking about, one useful database would be one containing female names. Then after interfacing my program with the database, when I write my spinner syntax, I can use #female_name# as a placeholder for a name chosen randomly from the database.

Wish list:

male, female names
countries, states, counties, cities
movies, actors, actresses
businesses, products
sports, teams, athletes

There are many others that would be useful. Ideally, where applicable, the databases would show relationships between terms, e.g., a database of states would indicate that "California" is a state in "The United States". Also, any additional information would be nice to have.

Does anyone sell a set of appropriate databases or would be willing to?

If not, but you would be interested in something like this, say so. Maybe we can convince someone to compile it themselves and sell it. List any other specific databases you would like to have.

Are there any good resources for finding databases like these (besides Google)?

I expect I'll just have to put my nose to the grindstone, but I'd really hate to duplicate someone else's effort needlessly.

anyone who has anything like you want won't be interested in selling it, except for major bucks. Have you any idea how much it costs to put together a db like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.