Consensus on signature as backlinks.

mojo999

Dec 29, 2007
I've been looking up on the value of forum signatures as backlinks and I'm getting two sides to the story. Some are saying that they are worthless as backlinks and are only good for link exposures. Others are saying that search engines do follow forum signatures to your sites and are good as backlinks. Can we get an expert's insight and a final consensus?

I've always been turned off to these sorts of questions, primarily because nobody can answer them and know if they are right or wrong.

Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and get your link everywhere you can, especially on forums that are related to your niche.

I tried many forums signature for backlinks because a lot of traffic come in forums. Forums are not only the way to sell any service or product and get any information but most of the peoples use it for backlinks.

There are many High PR forums & profile pages which creat backlinks, many providers use it from many methods(names)

High PR Do-follow forums / profile pages are good for baclinks you should try it for your sites.

I've always been turned off to these sorts of questions, primarily because nobody can answer them and know if they are right or wrong.

There is a way people can answer this and know if they are right or wrong.

Scientific Method.

Take two sites that are about the same links, strength, coding, and difficulty of keywords.

One leave alone.

One add a bunch of forum sig links.

See what happens.

Of course most people dopnt test enough in SEO or PPC and just spew shit they read somewhere.

There is a way people can answer this and know if they are right or wrong.

Scientific Method.

Take two sites that are about the same links, strength, coding, and difficulty of keywords.

One leave alone.

One add a bunch of forum sig links.

See what happens.

Of course most people dopnt test enough in SEO or PPC and just spew shit they read somewhere.

Bingo! Time for some shit spewing because I don't know the real answer either. My GUESS is:

1. It may be hard for the search engines to distinguish which are sig links and which are regular links. If they can't then that suggests that all forum links are worthless, which I don't believe to be true at all.

2. Xrumer has spammed forums to the point that links are worthless :p I doubt it.

3. It's going to depend completely on the forum. Take a look at WF and DP (yeah, I said DP get over it): LOTSA link juice. Now look at some podunk webmaster forum: no link juice. Is it because podunk-webmasters.com use a forum? Probably not.

Do your research and testing and you will get the answer.

Yeah, it works. I "turned on" a sig that had around 1000 posts and my brand new blog was a PR 2 after the next update. Erased the sig and the site lost it's PR and rankings for several long tails.

Honestly, one of the first things I do when I launch a new site for a client is to change my forum signature on a couple of sites. Voilá... indexed in 4 days at most.

The catch here is that if it's the only link building you do - when you switch your sig again you have zero links.

SE's see that you had 1k links in forums... then zero forum links.

Triggers a spam algorithm I suppose because I've been de-indexed when I've done this.

I've used my forum links to index sites within a day. Get one forum link pointing to one part of the site and another link on another forum deeper into the site and it's fantastic for indexing. As for their quality, I've had mixed results where after "turning them on" I would gain a good couple pages in the SERPs on newer content or I'd be de-indexed from a certain term.