Connecting to other pc's in house

stmadeveloper

Aug 30, 2007
So I've got my main work P.C. in my office, a P.C. up in my room and a laptop. Tired of trying to sync shit all the time.

Easiest way to just "log in" and operate the main p.c.? Was looking at logmein - but seems like it's overkill since I'm in the same house.

So I've got my main work P.C. in my office, a P.C. up in my room and a laptop. Tired of trying to sync shit all the time.

Easiest way to just "log in" and operate the main p.c.? Was looking at logmein - but seems like it's overkill since I'm in the same house.

What OS are you using on all of them? Windows 7 has remote desktop installed but disabled by default. Just enable it and then you can connect easily to it from any other PC.

I have a Macbook Air, a Macintosh Mini and a HP netbook working nicely in tandem after a lot of tweaking. My three main syncing programs are Dropbox, Roboform Everywhere, and Xmarks for Firefox, a free add-on that copies your bookmark changes to your other computers.

Yeah I'd use win 7's remote desktop, but the main pc is the only windows 7 machine. The others are vista, xp, and a linux box (not important if it isn't part of this).

Really what I'm trying to do is access software on the main pc from the others.... with out upgrading all of them.

Remote desktop works ok across all Windows platforms, you just might not be able to use all the fancy security features. You can even access it from the Linux PC with an RDP client

On a semi-related question, my son has an Ubuntu box upstairs in his room, what's the best wireless adapter to get him on the home network? Tried a Belkin adapter and couldn't get the fucker to work. Called and they said all smug and shit "we don't support Linux" so fuck them. I use Windows 7, but if I'm gonna put a 13 year old online it will be with a Linux box for obvious reasons. Any suggestions?

/thread hijack

Remote desktop works ok across all Windows platforms, you just might not be able to use all the fancy security features. You can even access it from the Linux PC with an RDP client

Slight err in this statement.

You've got to have XP Pro and Vista Business or higher to use RDP as home editions don't come with RDP.

Your universal standard is a VNC server, set up port forwarding on your firewall and even access the home PCs while offsite.

Reactions: stmadeveloper
On a semi-related question, my son has an Ubuntu box upstairs in his room, what's the best wireless adapter to get him on the home network? Tried a Belkin adapter and couldn't get the fucker to work. Called and they said all smug and shit "we don't support Linux" so fuck them. I use Windows 7, but if I'm gonna put a 13 year old online it will be with a Linux box for obvious reasons. Any suggestions?

/thread hijack
I had a hard time trying to configure an ASUS wireless PCMCIA card on my old notbook, I never got it to work and said fuck it, used an ethernet cable for as long as I kept Ubuntu on it and then reinstalled the good old win XP that I got with the notebook.
Never had problems since I switched it back to Windows :D

On a serious note, this list seems up to date (bottom of the page says Jan 2011 )
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

If I understand you need correctly, why not just use UltraVNC.

It's free, fast and reliable.

I had a hard time trying to configure an ASUS wireless PCMCIA card on my old notbook, I never got it to work and said fuck it, used an ethernet cable for as long as I kept Ubuntu on it and then reinstalled the good old win XP that I got with the notebook.
Never had problems since I switched it back to Windows :D

On a serious note, this list seems up to date (bottom of the page says Jan 2011 )
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Yeah if I didn't need a mile of Ethernet cable to connect him to my router it wouldn't be a big deal, but thanks for the link. I just know if I give in and put Windows on his box he'll have my network compromised in 2 hours or less. Fucking teenagers will click on anything.

Slight err in this statement.

You've got to have XP Pro and Vista Business or higher to use RDP as home editions don't come with RDP.

Your universal standard is a VNC server, set up port forwarding on your firewall and even access the home PCs while offsite.

Thanks - that works for me.

Why not just run a NAS and map it on all computers as My Docs or something?