Coming up with a brand name - what do you use as an influence?

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
Hey guys, i've got a new Ecommerce store i'm planning to launch here soon and having a hell of a time coming up with a brand name for it. I could play the generic terms like usual, but i'd prefer to try and keep this somewhat branded if possible.

What do you guys use as influences to your decision? I've been trying to be creative as well, but having a bit of a block and nothing that sticks out to me

Think of what the product does (action words), what it removes, fixes etc... and build from there. Other options include making a variant from synonyms of competing products.

Easy Example
Mop n Glo' = TileShine

Not so Easy Example
Bullseye BBQ Sauce = General BBQ Sauce
(Where did that come from?)
Bullseye = center = front and center = command attention = General's command

More
Fry's Electronics = Hot Electronics

Truthfully if the product works anything is brandable. Hell it's an XL14 Spray, a Snuggie and all sorts of stuff. All sorts of doohickey thing-a-ma jigs are out there getting bought daily. regardless of what you think of it, to the buyer that's the brand. Like Wal-Mart? How creative is that?

You could call it the ZoomClicker and it might not zoom or click, but if it works as advertised and you market it right it will not matter.

Wish you the best and hope it works out.

BTW, what cart are you going with? Looking to be in the same boat next year.

I try to incorporate a keyword and then something random to make it brandable. Think "Mailchimp." It seems to me that it almost doesn't matter what your brand's name is now days. One thing to keep in mind if you're ever planning world domination is that it shouldn't mean something offensive in a foreign language.

Yeah, im trying to keep it something generic as I am mearly a shop for a bunch of different brands in my niche.

So when people say "make a brand" do they also mean "create a product"? Because I thought a website like SimplyShredded.com (for instance) would be considered a "brand" website (or whatever) even though they're not selling some "simply shredded" product. Am I confused here?

A brand sometimes excels the product so to speak. But not always. Everyone approaches it different +/- the market reaction. Usually when people want a branded product or want to create one, they want a product that is notable and differentiated in the marketplace. However, all products are "branded" what actual is being discussed or desired is market perception / identification.

Example
Duracell or Energizer batteries vs. other Asian import batteries.

The Asian imports are "brands" but they are not notable in the US market. Therefore they are considered generic, but they are "brands".

That differentiation could be based on performance, marketing perceived value etc...

Edit:
HA! You edited your post. Then edited your post again. Well, your question is not stupid. Be positive towards yourself. And yes, everyone can run out and do it, but everyone won't.

Reactions: craigmc
disregard this post, as I am tired and I'm pretty sure it was stupid

have this instead

1324358396987.jpg

a miscer I do spy...

Anyways, think I have it down to 2 front filler keywords. They are generic, but brandable enough and the root keyword gives me plenty of room for growth and new categories to add to my store. Not to decide between these two front filler keywords...

Depends on what you're doing exactly. If you're going to be putting the time and effort into creating an actual brand, I'd say the name is irrelevant, and just make sure you get the .com for it.

Sony, Viao, Nikkon, Ford, Mercedes, Symantec, Norton, Google, Yahoo, Bing, and the list continues forever... none of those words mean shit, but due to branding, we all know what they are.

Oh, but make sure it's short. 5 or 6 characters is perfect, and something that can't be easily misspelled. If "domain.com" is said over the phone, or on the radio, you want people to know exactly how to spell it without any possible mix ups.

Reactions: craigmc
These are some of the best replies I've read in a thread in a good while. Thanks Gunner and Kiopa for sharing your wisdom.

I always think in terms of "Don't make it easy to remember, make it hard to forget."

Thinking in terms of Coca Cola, bed bath and beyond, bath and body works, double your dating (this has both alliteration AND benefit in it), Core Content Club :), and many others.

Just think of a benefit and package it in a form that sounds good.

What the product looks like + how the product makes people feel.

Example: Blue Magic, that's a brand name.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJo3KhcZw4"]American Gangster (4/11) Movie CLIP - Diluting the Brand (2007) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Remember to stand behind, and guarantee it.

Just start playing with sounds with a domain register, like Zappos.

An example would be.

Word: Levels

Mix 1: Bevels
Mix 2. Kavel
Mix 3. Keval

It's time consuming, but if you stick with it you can normally find something that sounds good and is available.