.com advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDA

Jun 24, 2006
Atlanta
Do you guys see .com domains as having a huge advantage over other extensions? I personally don't have a problem with anything except for .info's, they look spammy to me for some reason.

Yes, .com is the first thing pretty much every one thinks of when they think of a web address.

For me, .com is hte first thing I look for. If the name I want is available in .net but not .com I really seriously think about if it's worth getting or not and more often than not I don't get it.

Nathan said:
For me, .com is hte first thing I look for. If the name I want is available in .net but not .com I really seriously think about if it's worth getting or not and more often than not I don't get it.

WTF.jpg

Well what I mean is (it's 6.30am here and I havent been to bed yet) is that if I want a domain name and the .com is registered but the .net version is available then I reconsider if I really need that domain name. More often than not I pass on that one - even though I could have it with a .net and move on to another name.

WallaceCleaver said:
One of my most successful sites was a .net. I think if you build enough recognition for yourself then the extension won't matter.

True, but how long does it take to build that rep? I think that a .net is okay, but you are adding work to building your rep versus having a .com.

This is coming from the guy with half a dozen .net addresses for one site (now defunct). :evil_laughter:

A .com will always get a lot more type-ins from first time visitors than a .net and is usually easier to remember for casual visitors, in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.