Cleaning up a misused EMD website

ozblackjack

May 29, 2009
Hi All,
I have a few sins to confess.
I have an EMD (small search volumes) that I've had for years now. Truth be told, I've treated it very poorly.
Since I first registered it, I basically did everything you shouldn't do:
- WPRobot posting primarily youtube vids
- Heatmap Pro theme
- Hurled spammy blog comment links at it
It ticked along nicely for a while and then dropped off the map and I basically left it to it's own devices.

Just recently I've had a compulsion to clean it all up and start again - e.g. delete all previous posts, install a new clean "magazine-style" theme, load up fresh content (I am actually interested in the subject matter of the site) and then posting regularly on the site.

Please excuse the naive question, but is there a way to tell if there is some kind of ranking penalty that is attached to the site for all my previous sins?
Any other suggestions for trying to start over on this?

but is there a way to tell if there is some kind of ranking penalty that is attached to the site for all my previous sins?
If your site had content that was ranking and you knew the score then there are a few more options. Here are some suggestions based on what you have mentioned:

Type your domain + extension into Google - what returns?
Run the site command on your domain - what returns?
Are there any messages in Webmaster tools?

Run the Google safe browsing tool:
Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for yoursite.com

Last edited:
Type your domain + extension into Google - what returns?
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=YourSite.com

My site comes up in the in the results (e.g. first 4 results of page 1 are my site).

Run the site command on your domain - what returns?

Loads of results from my site come up

I don't have GWT for the site