Chargeback issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHOTEK

We make things GREEN
Feb 16, 2009
bostic nc
www.hhotek.com
i had a customer that bought a kit from my company for a jeep liberty with a Merc diesel in it i expressed to him over the phone that it had never been tested on that vehicle before and i did not know what the results would be. (there are very few vehicles like this) after about a week he got back intouch with me and told me that my electronics were not working correctly on the kit and the unit had frozen because he had put plain water in it with no additive to prevent freezing at all, it froze and broke a seal so 2 probs right off so told him to ship the unit back ill repair and send him the needed parts to make the kit work on another car . he did not want to do this he wanted me to ship him the chemical that we use to weld the acrylic together along with the additonal parts $300 worth for free. i shipped everything out and about 2 months later with no word from him he requested a chargeback paypal asked for information concerning the situation i provided details. the chargeback stuck and he still has product. What can be done about this type of situtation?

thanks for any help

You can send him to collections, but you're unlikely to get any money. Really it's the cost of doing business.

Send it to collections, I do, even if its $25. I don't expect it back, but at the very least it will sit on his credit until he disputes it.

So far 3 out of the 100 things I have sent to collections have been paid. Its usually when they go to try and buy a house or a car or something similar so it really screws up their month because they have to call the collection company or dispute it to have it removed.

Do you have a return policy, terms of service or any other binding contract that he had to agree to before checking out?

Oh, and lesson learned ... fuck Paypal.

Send it to collections, I do, even if its $25. I don't expect it back, but at the very least it will sit on his credit until he disputes it.

So far 3 out of the 100 things I have sent to collections have been paid. Its usually when they go to try and buy a house or a car or something similar so it really screws up their month because they have to call the collection company or dispute it to have it removed.

Do you have a return policy, terms of service or any other binding contract that he had to agree to before checking out?

Oh, and lesson learned ... fuck Paypal.

yea i had the terms and all set at that time as no refunds experimental product since then we have perfected things now i offer a money back guarentee but he never even asked for his money back he made a few requests for additonal items to make him happy i sent them i try my damndest to make my customers happy and he just hell i dont know

what collection agency should i use?

yea i had the terms and all set at that time as no refunds experimental product since then we have perfected things now i offer a money back guarentee but he never even asked for his money back he made a few requests for additonal items to make him happy i sent them i try my damndest to make my customers happy and he just hell i dont know

what collection agency should i use?

I use these guys just because you don't pay until they collect, but when they do collect their % is a little higher than the norm.

:: A & S Collections ::

Do a google search for collections agency and shop around there are a lot out there.

Don't use Paypal, they always settle in favor of the buyer, no matter what. You could buy something, file a chargeback with no information or evidence, and you'll win.

Don't use Paypal, they always settle in favor of the buyer, no matter what. You could buy something, file a chargeback with no information or evidence, and you'll win.

And if people don't beleive this. Consider two things.

1) eBay owns Paypal.
2) eBay doesn't allow sellers to give buyers negative/neutral feedbacks (only positive feedback can be left), but allows buyers to leave a seller one.

Get a proper credit card processor. Preferably using 3D Secure (Verified by vise) technology. You can claim a liability shift to the card issuer when chargebacks occur.

Before you respond to a chargeback find out what the reason was. The buyer has to state the reason for the chargeback, ie item not as described, non-receipt of item, unauthorized charge etc. If they say it's non-receipt of item and you have a tracking number that shows someone signed for it at the billing address, you win. If they say not as described and you show your return policy and correspondence between you and the customer showing that the customer had other courses of action, you win.

The main thing to remember is that it's VERY unlikely that the person reviewing the charge back has any room for personal opinion. It's a checklist that they go over and if you don't satisfy the black and white requirements, you lose. Say for example in this case the charge back was filed as non-receipt of item and you disputed it without providing a tracking number, you'll lose 100% of the time even if the documents you faxed or emailed in clearly show the customer received the product.

Get a proper credit card processor. Preferably using 3D Secure (Verified by vise) technology. You can claim a liability shift to the card issuer when chargebacks occur.

Verified by Visa will only help reduce the unauthorized charges (actually it'll practically eliminate them) but in this case it doesn't seem like the charge back was because of an unauthorized charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.