Can I get sued?

RonaldS

Jun 17, 2010
So I am interested in music and have tons of music books, like classical piano and guitar notes. Was wondering if I scanned them and offered them online as payable downloads, can I get sued for copyright infringements?

of course not...just form a corporation in hong kong and then live in new zealand.

oh wait...lol

obviously a troll
or you are the dumbest person on the internet currently

Go for it, I would love to stream some Johann Friedrich Franz Burgmüller while your mom makes me a sandwich.

No man you are good. It's impossible to get into any legal trouble on the internet. Too many people, too much stuff going on, ur good.

But then how is it that docstock, chordie.com and others allow it?

It probably has something to do with the DMCA. They don't allow it, but the law covers them for content uploaded by others. They just have to remove it when they receive a DMCA notice.

Hmmm the DMCA....... won't I be like just one fish in the ocean and they would have greater problems with pirating of songs and audio music

Just when I think I've found the most retarded post, another one like the OP appears....

Even then I think the company that had the music notated could take action (if he were dumb enough to leave that info in the scans)

If the music is public domain, they have no rights to it at all. It's possible to create a new edition of public domain music with editorial additions, but from what I understand, only the new stuff would be copyrightable. That would be enough to make scanning that edition illegal, but there is a lot of music where you can still buy new copies of editions that are public domain. There is nothing illegal about scanning the public domain editions.

A company might try intimidating you into taking the content down, but I doubt they would pursue anything beyond that if you act like you know the law (I speak from experience).