C&D To The Extreme

BeerNuts

Sep 4, 2008
www.beermonies.com
Quick run down, a couple of years back I had a site that had Victoria's Secret in the url. Got a C&D closed the site and moved it to some random subdomain of some other site.

Flash forward to today, I get another C&D via email. The site has never ranked for anything as a subdomain and has been pretty much dead. Here is what they said.

• Your use of the VICTORIA'S SECRET mark in the subdomain of the Site's URL (i.e., before the ".com");
• The prominent use of the VICTORIA'S SECRET mark as the name of your Site at the top of each page of the Site, in a font that is similar to the VICTORIA'S SECRET logo typeface;
• Use of the VICTORIA'S SECRET mark in the title and meta tags of the Site; • The copyright notice incqrporating the VICTORIA'S SECRETmark; and • The reference to the site as a "Victoria's Secret outlet," which implies that
it is an official outlet operated by Victoria's Secret.

I mean the first time they had me, it was full on in the URL. But for these guys to say that you can't even have a name brand in the meta tags or title of your page? Come on. Also on the first C&D I got years ago they told me that to use the letters "VS" in the domain or anywhere on the site and sell women's underwear of any brand is trademark infringement.

Outta control.

having their trademark in your metatags or showing up in their search results would never hold up in court. Sure they want you to have it off however if you arent showing up on their search results, then someone else will. They must have a bored employee with way too much time on their hands. If you wanted to be difficult with them, I am sure you can fight them on it. Just don't use their picture or make false claims and your fine.

They should put effort into stopping the shipments selling fake VS products, rather than nitpick over meta tags.

I deleted the site, not like it was doing anything anyway. Then I told them to go fuck them selves and CC'ed everyone she CC'ed. Ambulance chasers of the internet.

companies with enough money can trademark pretty wild stuff. blizzard entertainment has trademark on the actual word "wow"
i know microsoft had a lot of drama around "windows" but they got that too

Most companies will keep sending C&D's and won't do shit, but the most aggressive company I've seen so far is Roche Laboratories, Inc. the company who owns the Tamiflu trademark.

They sent me a C&D, and when I basically told them to fuck off (nicely), they filed a UDRP.

At that point, I caved and sent them the domain.

I'd just redirect/iframe makemoniez and tell them the meta/title issue has been resolved.

C&Ds are a scare tactic that law firms charge clients $500-1000 for writing. The author (most likely a secretary or paralegal) was simply internet-savvy enough to scour the source code and enumerate all the instances where you used the term "Victoria Secret" to help substantiate that theymeanseriousbusiness. BFD.

If you roll over and play dead, tell them it's gone, the problem should go away.

We sent C&D's out en masse way back when I was an IP paralegal for a big six law firm. You kill the domain = the client's happy = the lawyer is happy because he just got XXXXXXX% ROI out of the :30 seconds of his time for signing a form letter he didn't write.

If you roll over and play dead, tell them it's gone, the problem should go away.

Well yeah. I doubt anyone here hasn't gotten a C&D. It was some IP law firm that has a 1 page website this time. First time it was a hell of a firm.

What bothers me the most is what they can get away with now a days. If you remove the whole subdomain thing from the examples above and instead had it as a folder on some other domain they could still C&D you.

Example, If my gf writes a blog about underwear and she reviews victoria's secrets new whatever and says its shit on her blog. They could C&D her for many of the same reasons if not more.