Buying Gold Coins

conv3rsion

Get Money + Get Paid
Dec 14, 2008
Anyone here do this and have any experience? I'm not trying to make money with them, just want to get some of my cash into physical in-my-actual-hands gold and I don't know a good way about doing it. Apparently all but $1k+ coins are sold out from the US mint site.

There should be bullion shops around that sell them. I haven't bought any for a few months, but last time I was able to get Canadian Maple Leaves and Austrian Philharmonics, but no American Eagles. I'm not in the US, but anyway I'm sure you can find some bullion coins if not Eagles. They might be charging a higher sales premium than usual though, because of the high demand.

In the long term I'm all about silver though. They have the potential to increase much more plus you can buy them in small denominations, like $16 or whatever the price is for an ounce right now. You don't have to spend $500 or $1000.

learn a little bit about the market on the pcgs forum. once you start looking around people might mention a few reputable dealers and when they do, go for it. most of the cats on there know their stuff.

Collectors Universe Forums - Precious Metals
Kitco - Gold Precious Metals - Buy Gold Sell Gold, Silver, Platinum - Charts, Graphs, Prices, Quotes, Gold Stocks, Mining Stocks, bullion dealers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NfXk7Bvc8"]YouTube - GOLD VS DOLLAR[/ame]

a good way to invest in precious metals is to buy steadily over time and don't try to "beat the market". this is especially sound if you are a beginner.

another school of thought will tell you that the worst time to buy is in a bad economy. this is when everyone is rushing to get gold. no one talks about precious medals when times are good. not a big deal since you aren't looking to get a large quantity at once.

i'd suggest gold bullion coins with no premium for their potential as a collectible. collector coin issues are usually a joke since the gold purity is never as good.

the canadian maple leaf is a great gold bullion coin. it is the purest in the world. US gold bullion is decent but there are tons of other options out there.

learn a little bit about the market on the pcgs forum. once you start looking around people might mention a few reputable dealers and when they do, go for it. most of the cats on there know their stuff.

Collectors Universe Forums - Precious Metals
Kitco - Gold Precious Metals - Buy Gold Sell Gold, Silver, Platinum - Charts, Graphs, Prices, Quotes, Gold Stocks, Mining Stocks, bullion dealers

YouTube - GOLD VS DOLLAR

a good way to invest in precious metals is to buy steadily over time and don't try to "beat the market". this is especially sound if you are a beginner.

another school of thought will tell you that the worst time to buy is in a bad economy. this is when everyone is rushing to get gold. no one talks about precious medals when times are good. not a big deal since you aren't looking to get a large quantity at once.

i'd suggest gold bullion coins with no premium for their potential as a collectible. collector coin issues are usually a joke since the gold purity is never as good.

the canadian maple leaf is a great gold bullion coin. it is the purest in the world. US gold bullion is decent but there are tons of other options out there.

thank you, that was a great post

a friend was going to buy gold and so went to a gold dealer to buy some gold to secure up his position during the recession. So he bought a bunch of gold and then asked the gold dealer what his strategy was during the recession. The answer was "Buy food"

Why the fuck are you doing to pay 2x the price of gold for a gold in a coin, when you can simply buy bullion for the exact price of gold?

I used to own gold, now I only own stocks... but I must admit it has a nice feeling to it.

Why the fuck are you doing to pay 2x the price of gold for a gold in a coin, when you can simply buy bullion for the exact price of gold?

I used to own gold, now I only own stocks... but I must admit it has a nice feeling to it.

I ended up buying some bullion today.

I'm kinda the reverse, my money has always been in stocks and cash until I bought a house, now I want some more diversity.

You can buy bullion coins. Not all coins are numismatics that cost way more than the spot price.

You can buy bullion coins. Not all coins are numismatics that cost way more than the spot price.

the silver eagles I got were like $18 bucks, which i realize is a little over spot price, but I thought they looked cool. I think if I buy more I'll get the canadian maples since they are the most pure.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki2kdWO_VVQ]YouTube - Buying and Storing Physical Gold Bullion[/ame]

I wasn't going to say anything, but I have invested all of my savings into an adamantium endo-skeleton.

Here's the deal. I'm a coin collector, always have been since I was a little kid.

Collecting bullion is fine, theres nothing wrong with it. It's a conservative approach to investing, and is perfect for the guy that wants to fill up his safe deposit box or safe with something that will never go bad.

However, if you want to exponentially increase your investment over time, and you have the funds, consider buying old gold (e.g. St Gaudens $20 Eagles, or rare coins.) There is always a market for these coins, and a demand. Whereas bullion is so common you'll always get market value and never a penny more.

It all depends on you of course. Rare coin collecting and collecting older stuff involves research, and you need to either love it, or forget it.