buying domains question

Status
Not open for further replies.

paowiee

Jul 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I usually buy domains and hosting as a package from one company. I haven't used up space on my hosting account and was wondering if it's possible to buy new domains and just have them 'pointed to' a directory in my hosting account.

How would that be possible? Help! :D

I usually buy domains from a couple of reliable registrars and hosting from different companies, not domain registrars: if you have any issue with your hosting company, you can easily switch hoster without loosing your site.

TL

thanks for the replies, follow up question though:

Am I supposed to know the ip address and whatnots of my host? Can i see that in Cpanel? or something

My re-seller account that I host my domains on allows 50 domains, so they (less than 50 domains) sit there , hosted (I guess). So what is the difference with "parking" and just sitting on my hosting account waiting for somethng to be done with them? I have some registered with the hosting company I use and the rest were registered elsewhere and I changed hosting to be on my reseller account. (I don't re-sell, its just for my own stuff).

I'm a newbie, but maybe I might be able to help. Do you host your own domains? You can park them yourself and there should be an option on your cpanel. I know nothing about IP addresses, but to take a registered domain and to move it to where I want to host it (on my account), the DNS server is needed and that is on my domain management which is not on the cpanel. It should tell you current DNS settings on the domain management site.

hey jan thanks for offering to help i'm really getting confused on this one.

No, I don't host my own domains. What I did was, I bought the domain name and hosting as a package. And that whole domain name and hosting package is only used for my wordpress blog which doesn't really take up that much space. I still have around 90mb of freespace left with that hosting account.

I'm going to be starting a newsletter soon and I was wondering if I can buy a mylist.com domain on GoDaddy and have it 'pointed' (not sure what's the term) to my hosting account that still has a lot of free space.

Sorry if i sound confusing haha :p

hey jan thanks for offering to help i'm really getting confused on this one.

No, I don't host my own domains. What I did was, I bought the domain name and hosting as a package. And that whole domain name and hosting package is only used for my wordpress blog which doesn't really take up that much space. I still have around 90mb of freespace left with that hosting account.

I'm going to be starting a newsletter soon and I was wondering if I can buy a mylist.com domain on GoDaddy and have it 'pointed' (not sure what's the term) to my hosting account that still has a lot of free space.

Sorry if i sound confusing haha :p

Yes, you will change the nameservers (dns) to whatever your hosting uses. For example:

I buy a badassdomain.com from namecheap, but use dreamhost hosting. I would go in to namecheap and change the nameservers to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com (you will have to find what your host uses) Then set the domain up on dreamhost and you are good to go.

thanks jdog,

i called up my host provider and he told me that the package I bought only allowed for 1 domain. That sucks so I'll be getting a hosting account that can have 10 or more domains

right now i'm looking into hostgator.com (which can host unlimited domains)
and anhosting.com (which can do 10)

which do you recommend? any reviews? If i like your review i'll gladly purchase from your affiliate link

I would highly recommend, Cyberwurx.com. Been with them for a few years, never had a problem, support tickets are handled in minutes (if not seconds), offer unlimited sites w. 5 ip's for right about $6.

PS. It is always a good practice not to host and register with the same people, there's numerous reports of people whose registrar (& host) took their site hostage due to a false report.

Status
Not open for further replies.