buying a domain, where to get it at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimboone

Nov 24, 2007
I was looking around and wanted to get more info about buying a .whatever

like buddy is doing with his .cm

Can someone point me the way to a place i have to get this approved or buy...

keyword(anything).jb or what ever...

What -Matt- meant was that if you need a RARE extension, you can go to NIC. If an extension does not exist, it would need to be chartered, which is a long and expensive process (years and years) by ICANN. If an extension is not available from any registrar, then it would need to be chartered (or you need special clearance, i.e. .edu/.gov). You can NOT just create a .xyz extension.

Jason

I was looking around and wanted to get more info about buying a .whatever

like buddy is doing with his .cm

Can someone point me the way to a place i have to get this approved or buy...

keyword(anything).jb or what ever...

You can't do that. There is a long approval process and yours will never go through.

What -Matt- meant was that if you need a RARE extension, you can go to NIC. If an extension does not exist, it would need to be chartered, which is a long and expensive process (years and years) by ICANN. If an extension is not available from any registrar, then it would need to be chartered (or you need special clearance, i.e. .edu/.gov). You can NOT just create a .xyz extension.

Jason

What Jason said. Every TLD that exists has an NIC site (nic.com, nic.net, nic.cc, nic.tt). I can't just decide I want to make up the extension "matt" and go out and register matt.matt

Unless you have a specific reason not too, stick with getting a .com domain from Monikor through Jason's link above.

Great that you guys cleared that out for me. ill be looking at what steve sent and hope to be working with it soon. looks interesting.

Those .cm tlds are for Cameroon. And a Internet Marketer traveled to Cameroon, met with people including government officials and made an agreement for the names that are not really registered .cm. They all redirect to his parking pages.

It is a fascinating idea and a good read if you get time.

That is where i got the thought of getting my own extension.

by the way it was a great read..

There are a few alternate root server networks where you may run your own DNS server. OpenNIC: Democratic Name System is one such network.

The problem is that INTERNIC, the agreed upon 'official' DNS root sever network, won't acknowledge your DNS server and you'll have to use all sorts of tricks to get people to access and use your TLD.

Yup, you can get your own TLD if you can convince ICANN that there is a good reason to introduce. This June in Paris they are thinking of looking over and probably introducing well over 4000 (!!!!) TLDs.

They had some discussion about it in Feb in New Delhi but Paris is going to be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.