Business Growth :: Internal vs. External - YOUR Thoughts?

macromj88

Nov 9, 2009
The US of A
Most people here are growing internally. Meaning growing traffic, selling more stuff (or other people's stuff), and growing the business that way.

The flip side to that is external (acquisition) growth... It seems like it would be a hell of a lot faster to get to your goal by raising money, acquiring businesses, and hitting your target so much faster.

Also depends on your goals. Some are very comfortable making $100k a year and that's very easily done internally. But if you want to get to $100M (random example), in most cases it would take FOREVER to get there internally.

Growing your business to $100M internally would require some serious marketshare, national marketing exposure, and a pretty big scaled up company over a long period of time. Doing it externally (which I'm not claiming is easy, just FASTER), you could raise capital and buy $100M worth in the same industry, and consolidate everything...

Just wanted to put my thoughts out there, what do you think?

:: DISCUSS ::

So here's how to make the world's easiest $1 billion:

STEP 1: Form a bank.
STEP 2: Round up a bunch of unemployed friends to be "bankers."
STEP 3: Raise $1 billion of equity. (This is the only tricky step. And it's not that tricky. See below.*)
STEP 4: Borrow $9 billion from the Fed at an annual cost of 0.25%.
STEP 5: Buy $10 billion of 30-year Treasuries paying 4.45%
STEP 6: Sit back and watch the cash flow in.

So here's how to make the world's easiest $1 billion:

STEP 1: Form a bank.
STEP 2: Round up a bunch of unemployed friends to be "bankers."
STEP 3: Raise $1 billion of equity. (This is the only tricky step. And it's not that tricky. See below.*)
STEP 4: Borrow $9 billion from the Fed at an annual cost of 0.25%.
STEP 5: Buy $10 billion of 30-year Treasuries paying 4.45%
STEP 6: Sit back and watch the cash flow in.

Jeeta, if only I knew it was so easy ;)