bulk domain names - newbie question - go on murder me

Charli

Content Manager/Writer
May 30, 2010
Freakin' Desert
Okay, I found a niche and my plan is to create a mini site, not into constant blogging since I'm a writer and I hate the thought of continuous updating a blog.

My question is, how does one make money buying a truckload of domain names and not putting up content? Are they waiting for someone to buy that domain name?

Reason I came to ask this question is my niche, the domain name I want, well someone beat me to it and all of the various ways of wording it. I did see it premium on sale for like $8k, but forget about that. I can find a different hook for the name of my minisite.

So what gives? Why buy a bulk of names and sit on 'em?

And before anyone replies I'd like to thank any and all members who post on this thread with colorful links that take me (bleeping bleep bleepity bleep).

Charli

There's a huge difference between a "domainer" and a series "domain investor". Do you want to be in a position where people are emailing you and asking to buy your names?

Large companies?

CPA networks?

Other domainers?

The number one rule of successful DOMAIN INVESTING is "DON'T BUY NAMES BEFORE YOU HAVE A BUYER OR BEFORE YOU KNOW THERE'S A MARKET FOR IT".

It simple, I don't invest in any piece of virtual real estate (not even a $10 name) until I know there's a MARKET FOR IT.

Domains are new, intangible assets. You have to know the asset class. Don't waste money. If you want to inform yourself I suggest getting comfy with the following sources:

A pal of mine owns Estibot. He's a brilliant Finnish guy who is also (no fooling) a brain surgeon. Many large investment houses use his valuation tools to estimate the value of domains:

go here: EstiBot.com - Free Domain Appraisal and Domain Productivity Tools

Another pal Ed, runs one of the top domain podcast shows which you can find here:
Domain Names Podcasts | Domain Names - Domain Name News - Domain Names Podcast | OzDomainer.com

Next is NameNewbie.com which was created by the venerable creator of DNJournal.com one of the most authoritative sources in the industry:
NameNewbie.com - The Beginner's Guide to Making Money With Domain Names - Home

Another good podcast run by the folks at Moniker:
Domain Masters - Online Radio - WebmasterRadio.FM

Lastly, get comfy with sites like DN Sale Price- Domain Name Sales Price and History so you can start getting a gut feel once you look at a domain how much it might be worth, WHAT KIND OF BUYERS MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN IT, etc, etc

This post will probably be one of the last I make in this community for a long time because I'm starting a new chapter in my professional career and life. Good luck and take action!!