Build site around niche or just use adwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

Jun 24, 2006
Woo Hoo! 1st thread baby! *ahem*

I just signed up for CJ, i got a couple of ideas and need a starting point.

My first question is, should i build a site with good content around a niche/product , or should i just dump affiliate products on a page, and keep advertising hoping ppl will buy something (something like datafeed sites)?

I plan to target about 20 different niches and making a good quality site will definitely be more tedious.

If i do the 2nd way, i would probably churn out more sites but it would still be easier than the first way.

So, which way is the best way to make good money?

The niche site will likely be less expensive over the long term. If you plan on marketing via PPC make sure you test your designs, test your ad copy, and use tools like Google Analytics to see where your users are going. Just throwing money at a poorly designed site full of products won't really do much for ya.

The most important thing is to keep track of your changes and keep track of your results and see what works and what doesn't.

I'd say build around a niche. I think it's really important to give away some qaulity, in this way you make the worl....web a better place, and your site might be remembered as one with great content,which make visitors return.

I've been wondering about this too, I think the best way to start is to first make a site and get some decent traffic, and then list some affiliates as "sponsors" or something, or just link many keywords in your articles to affiliate landing pages.

Test it out. Pay particular attention as to what the other top bidders are doing (more so if they are affiliates, less so if they are mega corps with millions to burn)

Andrew said:
Test it out. Pay particular attention as to what the other top bidders are doing (more so if they are affiliates, less so if they are mega corps with millions to burn)
Or, find a niche that hasn't been exhausted yet and get some first-comers advantage :)

peach said:
Or, find a niche that hasn't been exhausted yet and get some first-comers advantage :)

That's the hardest part :p almost everything you can think of has been used to build a website around. I guess new products and things which are new to people will mostly give you good chances of being big in the niche

NtodaS said:
That's the hardest part :p almost everything you can think of has been used to build a website around. I guess new products and things which are new to people will mostly give you good chances of being big in the niche

lol, so true. We just have to keep a look out for new opportunities that arises.

hmm...Im probably going with the building quality content way, im thinking those sites will get ranked organically, and i can spend less time on them in the future.

Just hoping after all the hours spent researching and producing quality content, doesnt go to waste if the niche turns out to be unprofitable :(

I think it never will, if you proparly do seo your unique content will get it's traffic that is deserves. I really don't like those cheese quick-money making sites which ruin the web

Sometimes I just look at a popular site and think Damn I can do this much better, and I want to build a better site. That can work too

peach said:
Sometimes I just look at a popular site and think Damn I can do this much better, and I want to build a better site. That can work too
You know, i have the same thing. But for me it usually stays at the level of thinking cause im to lazy to actually try :p

SiNJoy said:
You know, i have the same thing. But for me it usually stays at the level of thinking cause im to lazy to actually try :p

Gotta step it up man! Never know... stop being lazy just one time and see where it gets you!

peach said:

Happens with me often also... I'm working on a few, but have yet to launch anything solid.

NtodaS said:
Lazyness is the nr.1 money waster i guess :) Happens to everyone i think you can't get all your planns out even if you have the time. Just being a human being..

Write them down, and just try your best! :)

Ive taken to writing down ideas I have as I work. I usually get a few ideas as Im working on something, so instead of getting distracted an hopping from idea to idea I just write them down as they come.

If your going to do ppc make good landing pages and test, test and test some more.
I think a good niche site could be done in addition to PPC and would continue long after the ppc is over.

shokthx

Build around a niche for natural traffic, than build a landing page for each term you use ppc for, and make sure you have good copy and design. Google Analytics is good for testing out your page.

Dave said:
Build round a Niche. I always think of those one-page product pages as scams.

Totally agree. When I end up on one of those pages and notice my scroll bar is extra tiny, I just close it out. Probably because most of those kinds of pages look the same, so Im sure its possible to have a landing page, but do it creatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.