Bot chat popups - do people really fall for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyHippy

Apr 9, 2007
I just went to check out an offer on Copeac, as I went to leave their landing page a chat window popped up:

Jenny Says: Don't leave yet! We want to offer you a deal that you can't resist. Sign up now and obtain a certificate for 2 Nights of FREE Hotel Accommodations, choose from over 80 different hotels located all over the world.

Not only that, we will reduce the shipping price to only $0.99 (Normally $1.97). A 50% savings! Just CLICK HERE to get started.

Jenny Says: Please type 'HI' or 'HELLO' in the space below to let me know you are there...

Jenny Says: Just let me know you are there...

Jenny Says: Whenever you are ready, just type 'HI' or 'HELLO' and we can get started...

You: just looking at promoting it... bye bye ms bot

Jenny Says: I'm a real person.

You: ok lol... you said that very quickly after the word 'bot'

Jenny Says: Okay great. CLICK HERE and fill out the page in order to take advantage of this last-minute price reduction.

You: does this really work? i guess some people fall for it!

Jenny Says: This vacation certificate is valid for 2 nights of complimentary hotel accommodations, valued at over $200.

You: what vacation?

Jenny Says: You have received a certificate valid for 2 Nights of FREE HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS at your choice of over 80 breathtaking destinations AND a FREE 14 DAY TRIAL MEMBERSHIP in the Family Savers Club!

You: no i haven't. this popped up from a completely different site!

Jenny Says: Just remember Auction Success is so confident that you will become a valued loyal user of our products and services, that we are willing to give you our Auction Success Kit absolutely free! All we require of you is to invest in a small shipping and handling fee.

Jenny Says: Would you like to take advantage of this last-minute offer? :)

You: no. i'd like you to prove you are a real person. or does your company always lie to potential customers?

Jenny Says: OK, Thank you for your time. To end the CHAT simply CLICK on the "X" in upper right.

You: was that your canned response to "n o"

Jenny Says: Let us explain. Hotels are not always able to book all of their rooms, and vacant rooms bring in NO revenue. Putting travelers in those otherwise vacant rooms for free brings in revenue in other ways, such as room service, hotel restaurants, shops, pay-per-view television, phone charges, etc.

Jenny Says: It actually costs a hotel more money to leave a room vacant than it does to give it away for FREE. We work with some of the world's leading consolidators who contract with major hotel chains to put travelers in those rooms that would otherwise remain vacant.

You: wow! you are a fast typer aren't you?

Jenny Says: I am just a fast typer :)

You: prove you are not a bo t

Jenny Says: Would you like to take advantage of this GREAT offer?

You: maybe. if you can prove you are a re al per son as you said.

Jenny Says: Understandable, but please don't hesitate, this is a limited time discount that I am authorized to offer you right now through this chat. CLICK HERE because this offer may not be available tomorrow.

You: can you prove it? think you might've failed the turing test#

Jenny Says: For customer service, please feel free to call 800-231-8042 for any questions concerning your membership.

You: please let your boss know that using bo ts that claim to be people, or employing people with the intelligence of bots is not clever!
Blatantly lying to people is pretty shitty in my opinion. I know people are dumb, but do they really fall for this?

You're funny!

I wonder what one of those would cost? Probably a lot more than I could afford. But just imagine what one could do with that. It boggles the mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.