Bookmarks organizer (you got one?)

Ar Scion

Oct 27, 2009
Do you bookmark pages a lot? I do.

Across browsers, across computers, I probably have thousands I've accumulated over the last few years.

Some of them are actually pretty useful, so I'm looking for a nice, freeware tool that helps me organize them.

Chrome's bookmarks manager sucks.

I found bookmark managing to be one of the few things Google+ is worth a shit for. I have a circle with no friends in that I post pages I want to book mark too. Tagging would be useful but I haven't really missed it, grabbing the screenshot and description have been helpful enough to not really miss it.

Firefox + xmarks works pretty well for me. I bookmark a lot, so I have a decently organized file structure and tag almost everything. The search bookmarks and view by tags features in the Firefox organizer allow me to locate what I'm looking for quickly. Since xmarks syncs across browsers, I can open these folders in Chrome and IE if necessary.

No joke and no troll, I have close to 10k bookmarks in IE, FF, Iron/Chrome.

I would import/export them and then used things like Firefox sync and Xmarks to try to organize them around. It took a lot of time to find shit, organize it, import/export, etc...

Also, sometimes I would find what I was looking for and find out the page was down, domain expired, content taken down and I lost that gold nugget of info I wanted.

The solution for me? Evernote.
Now when I find something I want to keep, I clip the info and tag it in Evernote and never have to worry I will lose it again and its automatically sorted and organized for me.

Give it a try

I installed evernote. Looks pretty useful for new, incoming bookmarks. But how do you deal with the old ones?

I've dragged and dropped two html exports of my bookmarks, and it doesn't look like there's any way to sync them, remove duplicates, merge them or anything.

^^ thats a hard one and I don't know if you will like my answer, but...

I had put aside time each day to go thru 100 of my "old" bookmarks and ask myself if I really needed this info, if it was common knowledge now, and if this was really something apart of my core business/things I will actually do.

I KNOW it sounds like shit, if you bookmark something you want it right? Things change though, some of the shit I bookmarked from 2005 no longer applied to what I was doing in 2011 or going forward. Some of the "insider gold nuggets" where now common knowledge, etc

Took me a little over a month at 100 bookmarks a day to get shit really sorted out, but I am glad I did it.

I installed evernote. Looks pretty useful for new, incoming bookmarks. But how do you deal with the old ones?

I've dragged and dropped two html exports of my bookmarks, and it doesn't look like there's any way to sync them, remove duplicates, merge them or anything.
Check the software I linked to.
Also, you need to combine the two html files into one before importing into the software. When you've cleaned your bookmarks it will let you export them.

Check the software I linked to.
Also, you need to combine the two html files into one before importing into the software. When you've cleaned your bookmarks it will let you export them.

Not workin bro. Exported all bookmarks, merged all into one note on Evernote. Exported as html file. Imported into AM-Deadlink.

Successfully checks all urls, but does not give me option to format and shit. Options are greyed out.

Figured it out. When you export bookmarks, the html file is in bookmark format. When you import it into Evernote, it loses the formatting unless you copy and paste all the html markup.