Blue from American Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyD

$monies = false;
Dec 7, 2006
Wine Cuntry
wildfoxmedia.com
So, I get these pre-approval offers in the mail all the time and Blue from American Express looks worth while. The offer is:

0% Interest on Balance Transfers for 12 months
0% Interest on Purchases for 12 months

8.24% on Purchases/Balance Transfers after 12 months

Ive never had an Amex card but ive heard good things (About there business accounts at least)

I currently have $5k on a Chase card with a 0% offer that will be up in August and rather then pay 12% on that, I would rather pony up the 3% balance transfer fee and get 12 more months of no interest.

Does anyone have any opinions on this card in particular or Amex's service to personal accounts rather than business accounts?

Amex is the best but look around at their other cards before signing up for the blue. Im not really a fan of that card. I was convinced into getting their starwood card.

Not a bad deal, but you should be able to find a card that has a cap on that 3% fee.

3% should be capped at $100-$150, something in there. I got a Blue Cash card about 8 months ago and that was what it was when I did my balance transfer.

I love AMEX, I have their Blue Cash card for personal expenses and their business platinum for business expenses. Each get 5% back on gas purchases which is awesome because thats like $.20 off per gallon (based on $4/gallon) which really adds up if you drive a lot.

Yep, exact same setup. Blue Cash for personal expenses, Platinum/Plum for business expenses.

I love AMEX, I have their Blue Cash card for personal expenses and their business platinum for business expenses. Each get 5% back on gas purchases which is awesome because thats like $.20 off per gallon (based on $4/gallon) which really adds up if you drive a lot.

STARWOOD or bust. Most of the time they upgrade you. So for example for adtech:SF I stayed at the W hotel, was 400$/night for a regular room then they upgraded me to a corner suite which are close to 600$. I've never paid a dime to stay at one of their hotels but they treat me like I'm I do.

Just a note about AMEX:
If you start charging a large amount on their charge cards, they will do a financial review. If you don't have the docs to back up reported income, you might get screwed - they will close the account and it will show as closed by granter on your report. They're very nervous right now with the credit crunch. Look on CreditBoards or FatWallet for more info.

Other then that I think they have one of the better rewards program but if you're using it for business make sure you have other cards/lines that can cover you in a pinch. Also I think the platinum is overrated.. Stick with gold and then go and buy priority pass instead.

Ah and before I forget you get an extra 5% off at YSM Capped to a total of $500 per card.

HTH
oziman

If you start charging a large amount on their charge cards, they will do a financial review. If you don't have the docs to back up reported income, you might get screwed - they will close the account and it will show as closed by granter on your report. They're very nervous right now with the credit crunch. Look on CreditBoards or FatWallet for more info.

This is interesting. I have a couple of AMEX cards (green & plum) and got a low limit on the green about 3 months ago. I started paying off the card every week and they bumped my limit to almost double.

maximus -

Is Green Credit or Charge?

There are lots of different hypothesis to why it happens. I like AMEX too, I just think people should be made aware of some of their policies.

Green, Plum, Blue, Platinum, Gold...... the color of the card don't matter. Each of these cards have only one goal in mind - To screw you over.

Build up a savings and pay cash for everything.

Green, Plum, Blue, Platinum, Gold...... the color of the card don't matter. Each of these cards have only one goal in mind - To screw you over.

Build up a savings and pay cash for everything.

While this is true for personal, for business cash flow is king.

I have to admit though, their anti-fraud dept is on top of shit. When I was out for grad with my parents (highschool) we went out to eat - all of our CC's (from AMEX) got temp frozen due to an unknown bank acct withdrawing money (this was before the whole "we'll call you" deals).

Applying for a blue card myself right now. :)

Apparently saving an extra 1 - 2.5% qualifies as being screwed over. :1orglaugh:

Whats the best Visa card I can get? i've only had an AMEX (capped at $1000 a month), so my credit is still non-existent. Unfortunatly, AMEX is only accepted at the more expensive areas in Bangkok. Visa is pretty much everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.