Blackhat vs. Whitehat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOwnDemon

Face Rocker
Jan 28, 2007
Iowa
www.sitestomp.com
I may be asking a totally stupid question here, and I'm prepared for the flames to engulf me, but what is blackhat and whitehat?

Before you ask, YES... I've done a little research here at Twinfire. From what I understand Whitehat is when you build a site around an affiliate program, and your website is geared towards just making sales with that particular affiliate, correct?

I'm still clueless as to what blackhat is.

Sorry, I had to ask. I'm a little confused.

SEO

In recent years the terms white hat and black hat have been applied to the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) industry. Black hat SEO tactics, also called spamdexing, attempt to unfairly redirect search results to particular target pages, whereas white hat methods are generally approved by the search engines.

Thanks, bro. That's all I needed to know. So, I guess my site would be whitehat then? :thumbsup:

Depends

1) Has your site been built from the ground up, and has links pointing to content that other webmasters have found useful and link exchanges.

2) Is the only reason you rank for the terms you do because 500 blogger blogs with one post link to you?

:)
Ex

I may be asking a totally stupid question here, and I'm prepared for the flames to engulf me, but what is blackhat and whitehat?

Before you ask, YES... I've done a little research here at Twinfire. From what I understand Whitehat is when you build a site around an affiliate program, and your website is geared towards just making sales with that particular affiliate, correct?

I'm still clueless as to what blackhat is.

Sorry, I had to ask. I'm a little confused.

Google has all the answers

Depends

1) Has your site been built from the ground up, and has links pointing to content that other webmasters have found useful and link exchanges.

2) Is the only reason you rank for the terms you do because 500 blogger blogs with one post link to you?

:)
Ex

Thanks for the info. I am probably guilty of #2, but not by my own fault.

Definition of the term blackhat is constantly being argued upon, since some claim that all SEO traffic is to some extent blackhat. Meaning, people who optimize their page for a ranking (even doing it the "legit" way) are still gaining an "unfair advantage" over their competition.

However, the general concensus and the meaning of the word here is that blackhat is any method that yields traffic and/or ranking using methods that violate most search engines' TOS.

The methods range from link-spamming, cloaking, keyword-stuffing, and many others. There are also blackhat-tools out there created for this purpose.

Definition of the term blackhat is constantly being argued upon, since some claim that all SEO traffic is to some extent blackhat. Meaning, people who optimize their page for a ranking (even doing it the "legit" way) are still gaining an "unfair advantage" over their competition.

However, the general concensus and the meaning of the word here is that blackhat is any method that yields traffic and/or ranking using methods that violate most search engines' TOS.

The methods range from link-spamming, cloaking, keyword-stuffing, and many others. There are also blackhat-tools out there created for this purpose.

Thanks. :)

White hat SEO is a method which is followed with rules and regulations given by search engines. Whereas black hat SEO is unethical means or not according to concept of search engines. Although White hat SEO takes time but it is the safest thing to do rather than getting banned by following unethical means.

Status
Not open for further replies.