Big names in your name!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust-D

Worseless and lurking
Jan 22, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So here I am at GoDaddy about to set up my multi-million dollar site and I'm stuck.

I was thinking of using another big name in my site name. For example, www.walmartfanatic.com. That isn't what I was planning on using, but you get the idea.

Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have some tips on this?:stonedsmilie:

Last edited:

I don't think it's a bad idea, per se. You'd probably piggyback off the big company's name in some search engines. Then, you also have to factor in the fact that when people are searching for something specific, they might not spend a lot of time on your site if it's not exactly what they're looking for.

Do it if you want. Test the waters.

It would be best to stay away from using registered trademarks...

You should try searching pros and cons of Brand vs Keyword domains for a better approach.

Generally it would be best to use something unique, short, easy to spell, remember, and pronounce. It's better for branding, type in traffic, telling people by word of mouth... If you provide a good site, you'll do good in the long run.

If your targeting a specific niche, another option would be to add your main keyword to your name. Or better yet use your exact keyword phrase. If it's short, it too could be somewhat brandable. By using your keywords you will get a relevancy benefit and a small boost for ranking for that term

Besides that try to get a .com, avoid using numbers (ie:1 or one, 1st or first), and try to avoid using multiple hyphens if possible.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. :)

...unless of course, your site is actually going to be totally about walmart fanatic.

But I wouldn't encorage using other's trademarks myself.

Has potential. It has less predefined boundaries and is more respectable than the other one. Give it a site with enough passion and dedication, and who knows...

You must find it more motivating than your previous choice... if so, then it's working already.

Status
Not open for further replies.