Big Brand keyword targeting

mikkojh

Feb 27, 2015
Few days ago I started up a big brand authority site in the broad fitness/health/lifestyle niche. I now gotta start writing around 1 article per day.

I have question about the article titles/keyword targeting. Is it still acceptable to write the exact match keyword in the article title, for example. a keyword "how to lose weight in 7 days" I might want to target. So should I write my article title exactly like "How To Lose Weight in 7 Days"? Or does that shit look weird to the people visiting the site?

Mind you I still wouldn't "seo-optimize" the article, I would just write an informative and quality article around the keyword, so no keyword stuffing, optimizing etc. My main goal when it comes to content of the site is to make the articles for humans, not for google. So high quality content with stock photos etc.

Or should I just start writing the articles on whatever topic I like and not care about the kw's and just focus on the article being the best quality it can be and hope that articles will start ranking on some of the keywords I'm using there.

Answers will be appreciated, really stuck on this right now.

I'm myself leaning more on just writing articles around whatever topic and make it organic instead of using a keyword research tool like market samurai to research the kw's. Just fuck it and start writing and hope that in six months the articles will start ranking.

But what are people's thoughts on this?

This site is gonna be a really longterm project so I need to get the strategy right.

Question
I have question about the article titles/keyword targeting. Is it still acceptable to write the exact match keyword in the article title, for example. a keyword "how to lose weight in 7 days" I might want to target. So should I write my article title exactly like "How To Lose Weight in 7 Days"? Or does that shit look weird to the people visiting the site?

Answer
make the articles for humans, not for google

Seriously, get the keywords and write about it. If you want to, put the target keyword in the URL but not in the article itself and the title if it looks really bad.

We all want hugs and loves from google but if your visitors would read shit for google then you wont get any love on both sides. Take care of your visitors first and the big mama will follow you

Thanks, this cleared up my mind alot. I just want all the pieces of the project moving into the same direction, don't wanna be doubting my strategy for the site and especially for article writing cause that's the important part.Wrote my first article today and realized the importance of high quality stock photos, that shit looks so amazing.

Thank god there's a shitload of low comp, longtail, low volume keywords to choose from that do not sound just plain retarded.

Related to the topic, what kind of tools people use to research keywords? I've used up the trial of market samurai and it was alright, now I'm using google keyword tool and just checking up the competition manually and then put it on an excel file.

Is there a better way to do that? For me the google keyword tool seems good enough for this kind of stuff.

Hire someone in fiverr for $5 and give solid instructions for keyword researching. You can PM to add $5-$20 to check competition manually and put it in an excel with your criteria. Now you get like 200 KWs.

After getting your batch filter them manually. Market Samurai is good but will waste you time again to master it. Go focus on your site and hire some experts for cheap to work for you

If you're just going for SEO content I like to mix it up with targeting longtails and searching for topics that people are talking/asking about that aren't even in Google's keyword tools.

For direct SEO blog posts:

You want to start with scraping keywords from your initial 'seed keywords'. If you're in the 'fitness' niche some of these might be: eating healthy, nutrition, losing weight, cardio, weight lifting, gym -etc. Get all the results from scraping (which you can use Google keyword tool, Termexplorer, Scrapebox, etc).

After scraping all the seed keywords you want to bring it into Excel/Notepad/TextWrangler and if you haven't yet filter out anything that's too high volume/broad and I personally delete all the low CPC stuff and keep all the 0 all the way to around ~1k searches.

Now you want to take out any of the: who, what, where, when, and why keywords and save those because those are most likely ready to be blogged about already (like it's a complete blog post title).

After taking those out you want to go through and start taking out any of the other longtail terms and putting into a new document.

With all your new longtail terms there's plenty of blog post title generators that can shoot out some automatic ideas on how to phrase the keywords. For larger projects before I do this step I will have someone go through and place the intent for all these keyword phrases (ex. sales, download, question, etc) so I can group them better for titles. This title step helps make clickable optimized titles.

Here's my fav title tool: Link Bait Title Generator | Content Row

For keywords not in Google keyword tool I do this process:

I built this with Faqfox, but the idea was off of what I do with Scrapebox for blog topic reseach. The idea is to search big community websites for questions on your targeted keyword. An example of one you could do with Scrapebox or Gscraper (might be better going direct to Scrapebox/Gscraper if you have it vs. Faqfox):

site:Reddit.com intitle:cardio intitle:why

You can see this is one of the 1st links in Google is: "Why does cardio burn more calories more than lifting weights?'. Which would make a solid blog post to do. The answer to the topic is written in the comments as well so it's easy for you to write. It's important you look at any buzzwords/language they use to include in your post as well. Google is a lot better at understanding related keywords.

Side notes:

For blogging there's different ways to go about it for getting traffic. I just classify them as 'social posts', 'linkbait posts', 'sales posts', and 'seo posts'. That doesn't mean that a social or linkbait can't be SEO friendly, but it's just the intended main purpose of the post. What I was outlining above is more for suited for the SEO/social arena.

For writing for these SEO titles I just make sure it's good content and don't 'worry about SEO' from there.

I also never do like, each blog post is KW optimized for something which would work out anyways if you search community places for blogging topics. I'm a bit tinfoil hat there and I think Google can easily see if majority of pages on your site match what keywords they give in Google Keyword Tool.

Reactions: golan
Thanks for the posts peeps, more than enough of useful information here. I found that google keyword tool is enough for me at the moment, if you are willing to put in some manual work when it comes to competition research and fucking around with excel.

I've found myself stressing alot about the quality of articles right now. From my next paycheck I'm gonna order 5 star Textbroker article and use that to benchmark my future articles, I view it as an investment. Another one is stockphotos, found a couple of free sites but soon I'm gonna have to start paying for them as right now I'm using 3 per article and I want to keep the quality high without rotating the same pictures.

Thanks for the posts peeps, more than enough of useful information here. I found that google keyword tool is enough for me at the moment, if you are willing to put in some manual work when it comes to competition research and fucking around with excel.

I've found myself stressing alot about the quality of articles right now. From my next paycheck I'm gonna order 5 star Textbroker article and use that to benchmark my future articles, I view it as an investment. Another one is stockphotos, found a couple of free sites but soon I'm gonna have to start paying for them as right now I'm using 3 per article and I want to keep the quality high without rotating the same pictures.

Textbroker is shit if you're going for real quality. Why not hire someone who's familiar with the niche through Odesk, Reddit, Craigslist etc. You can get similar prices - the myth that it's more expensive is a lie.

Think about it, if you were reading one of our answers to your thread but we didn't exactly know the topic of content marketing/SEO it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Write content that you would want to read yourself. If you do this, it will do great things for your site. Think about what people want to see when they click on a link to find information. Text sure but I would throw in some videos and some cool web apps. You said fitness/health. Create or buy a web app so someone can plan out their routine or maybe even something simple like calculate their BMI inside an article. Create unique video content and post it everywhere, that's always a winner.

Research Your Competitions Marketing Strategy!!!
Use spy tools like iSpionage(similar: KeywordSpy, Semrush, K-Meta) to quickly learn who your competitors really are, which keywords are working for your competition, bringing the most traffic to the site... using their semantic core you can create really effective content marketing strategy.

Just use Metadescription, add meta tags too, this will help you to create different titles for your site and for search engines. Write your keywords in the link.

However, I was writing articles for one music&art journal for 6 years now and I should say that you need to write everything you want, because search engine's algorythm isn't that stupid and he will get an idea about what your are writing and for what people it would be interesting. It's always good to share your finished article via social media channels, this will help your post to be more recognisible at search engines too. If you're sharing at facebook, don't forget to use facebook debuger tool, just to check if everything is alright with your post.