Beware: Google Wonderwheel Data is Filtered Internationally

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddarhusetgal

Incongruous Juxtaposition
May 2, 2007
Have you noticed this?

If you are marketing to US customers but live abroad...you may want to be aware of this.... or I imagine if you are in the USA and doing research for int'l markets be aware of this too....

....last week gave a VA some keyword research to do that required using this new tool.

Only I noticed that he wasn't getting the same data as I was (even though he was supposedly searching google.com and not the country specific google site...)

He wasn't logged into a google account either....

Would have been fine accept for the fact that there was such a MATERIAL DIFFERENCE in the data he saw and the data I saw...

ALSO happened with the google sktool too.....

Another thing a friend pointed out is that if you are doing research with the adword tool for brands, they hardly ever list specific info, you have to suggest the keyword with the largest search volume then drill down before you get longtails for it......

they're always holding something back, huh?

Might it be that not all the data centers for google.com are in synchronicity? Just sayin.. Was it huge differences..or?

I have also had always had a hunch that this was happening. I am in Ireland and searching "buy shoes" on the google.com site, first five results:

1. www.shoebuy.com/
2. www.letsbuyshoes.com
3. www.shoes.com/
4. www.zappos.com/
5. walking.about.com/cs/shoes/bb/shoes.htm

If someone else from US or elsewhere can verify the results we will be in a better position to know more.

1. Shoes, Clothing, Handbags, Sunglasses | Zappos.com Free Shipping
  2. Shoes from Shoebuy.com - Free Shipping & Return Shipping
  3. Shoes, Boots, Sandals and Bags from Shoes.com http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:Tym8x-KJKtEJ:www.shoes.com/+"buy+shoes"&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
  4. www.dsw.com/
  5. orthopedics.about.com/cs/beforeyoubuy/ht/buyshoes.htm
US eastern seaboard, quoted search.

I have also had always had a hunch that this was happening. I am in Ireland and searching "buy shoes" on the google.com site, first five results:

1. www.shoebuy.com/
2. www.letsbuyshoes.com
3. www.shoes.com/
4. www.zappos.com/
5. walking.about.com/cs/shoes/bb/shoes.htm

If someone else from US or elsewhere can verify the results we will be in a better position to know more.

It's nothing new that Google enlists search results differently based upon the searcher's location. There is a comparison tool one can use to check:)

So how can I accurately check my rank for sites targeting American customers when I live in Ireland. I suppose by using a US proxy but is their an easier way?

You're missing the point subtle guys. If you've been studying the new LSI tools (which is what I originally started the post about) what I am pointing to is their assumptions different categorizations/assessment of search behavior (also the language is being used) based on location. Behaviorial market research vs. strict keyword research....

see my post here.....

http://www.wickedfire.com/affiliate-marketing/52527-how-find-niche.html

Status
Not open for further replies.