Best way to sell a site?

If you are selling for more than a few hundred dollars I would consider an escrow service (like escrow.com) if you don't know the buyer. As far as transferring the DB and files, just FTP them to the new owner.

I never sold a huge site so I just emailed all dbs and transferred the domain after all the payments cleared. If you are selling a bigger site then people tend to use escrow and talk on the phone with the buyer...

I would have a read of some of the information over at Flippa, they are the biggest opertaor in this field and provide some helpful tips when selling your website.

Flippa might also be a good place to list it due to the verification and feedback system of buyers allowing you to vet bidders before placing the bid.

Thanks

If you are selling for more than a few hundred dollars I would consider an escrow service (like escrow.com) if you don't know the buyer. As far as transferring the DB and files, just FTP them to the new owner.

Bingo. I just had a friend sell a site for over 2k and they used escrow. I wouldn't do it any other way unless you're not selling it for that much.