Best Tools for Keeping Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambo

Apr 12, 2008
So I just finished creating a blog with a petition attached to it and I am about to start promoting for traffic.

I'm gonna try to monetize with adsense and possibly AM offers later on.

Before I promote though, I want to have a good way to track how many unique visitors I get and where they are coming from, whether or not they click on my ads. What is the best way to do this?

you are asking for two different things.

Keeping track of stats: Google Analytics and your server stats.
As for the the ads - depends on where you are serving them from. If you are wanting adsense, etc. they have their own tracking. If you are going to be doing banners, etc. look at the stats of the affiliate company OR get openx and create your own ad server for your own stats.

Thanks Patrick. I wasn't being clear...I didn't mean I wanted to check whether or not visitors clicked my ads, I wanted to see how many unique visitors I get and where they come from, regardless of if they click ads. Is that what Analytics will do?

Yup, analytics got chu' covered bro. SiteMeter and StatCounter are also other good alternatives, amongst tens of others that do the same thing.

I've always wondered if it was necessary (or even beneficial) to add google analytics when i already have awstats included in my hosting (Hostgator -> CPanel X)

What kind of benefits would G.A. give me, if any?

ALOT.

Examples: GA gives amazing detail as to things like country, city, etc. trends, comparison to your industry. You can also take just about any two stats on GA and Xref them. So if you have all of the screen resolutions that are looking at your site, and you have all of the cities in California that are looking at your site you can xref them and get a screen resolution breakdown by city in california. That was a weird example but hopefully you get the idea.

That actually sounds very useful, especially when dealing with PPC. I'm going to have to give it a shot with a new campaign I'm working on.

Yay! I have been looking for an analytics replacement for a while now, and this seems to be the first serious candidate.

Thanks ++rep

::emp::

Yeah, it's great. It's the successor to phpmyvisities that Smaxor mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.