Best recurring billing service?

samgeneric

Jul 26, 2009
Deerfield Beach, FL
What's the best recurring billing service? I've been trying to set one up for a non-profit client in RI, and I've done my research. It seems like Authorize.net has a great program. But I'm trying to do it without purchasing their recurring billing module.

So I guess I have two questions: 1) Is authorize.net's API the best to use? and 2) What's the best plugin or module to use in order to tap into their API. It can be a plugin for anything: Wordpress, Drupal, Magento, Ubercart...WHATEVER!

paypal has it and its probably perfect for a non profit because I would imagine the chargeback rate will be low

problem with using paypal as a rebill is if you're expecting some disputes you can loose a lot of money. Not only can they shut down your account and just keep the money currently in there if they feel you're getting too many complaints but each and every complaint has to be addressed cus the money in question gets immediately held and unless you want to refund them you have to wait a week or so to get it available again.

Honestly the best rebill system is a standard merchant gateway. You can set it up with your bank but it may not be the best unless you're planning on doing some volume.

Yeah, the plan is to do a fair amount of volume. My problem is I've never set up a merchant who doesn't want something really standard. This recurring billing stuff is way harder to figure out than I assumed. I thought it would be simple...like an issue other people had written plugins for.

What's more, my client has a friend who sells merchant accounts. And he wants to purchase it through his friend, which really limits my options. I wanted to cock him in the balls.... Whatevs, things could be worse. I could be like, I don't know, this guy.

Last edited:
Yeah, the plan is to do a fair amount of volume. My problem is I've never set up a merchant who doesn't want something really standard. This recurring billing stuff is way harder to figure out than I assumed. I thought it would be simple...like an issue other people had written plugins for.

What's more, my client has a friend who sells merchant accounts. And he wants to purchase it through his friend, which really limits my options. I wanted to cock him in the balls.... Whatevs, things could be worse. I could be like, I don't know, this guy.

paypal HAS a recurring billing plugin.

Best vs non-profit Best

I was looking at rebillers for merchants also, but my definition of best is a little different:

1) will continue to bill expired credit cards.
I've heard some will do this (ccbill?), anyone know of others?

2) allow a customized checkout page w/ chance for an upsell.
Clickbank fails pretty badly there. (Yeah, I know, they're for n00bs, etc.)

3) doesn't just allow a chargeback at the drop of a hat.
Pushing through a chargeback without hesitation after product or service has been delivered sucks

4) Doesn't require setting up a merchant bank account.
That seems to be pretty much asking to get raped on transaction fees, but I'd rather start off low budget & not have to incorporate or hassle with the bank.

5) maybe has some affil tracking or programs built-in

Probably not going to get all of those in one, but does anything come close?