Best dual monitor setup, same monitor or different?

King.

Dec 26, 2010
I've had a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor for a year now, it has a fantastic crisp display. I now want to add an extra monitor to my setup (should have done this ages ago).

Should I just get another one of these bad boys or go for something different?
I've seen some people go for smaller monitors then turn it vertical to save space. This monitor is quite big so I'm not sure if getting another will be too much.

If you want to play games on both screens, get a similar one. If you want to have a browser opened in one and do something else in another, you don't have to care too much.

I have 2 different monitors and it bothers me. Colors are slightly different on each. Other than that it's fine, but next time the computer gets upgraded I'll be going trips or quads with all of the same monitor.

It is much better to have the same one. Much, much better. You can make do with different ones, but it isn't as nice.
I agree with this 10000% except for one exception where the monitors are designed to be paired together that are different sizes. I had a three-monitor setup once from Samsung that was designed to be like

Code:
+----+  +--------+  +----+ 
|    |  |        |  |    |
where the outside two monitors were designed so that the width was the same size as the height of the middle one so you rotated them 90 degrees for this sort of setup. I personally liked that more than two or three monitors of the same size, but it's not very common.

I agree with this 10000% except for one exception where the monitors are designed to be paired together that are different sizes. I had a three-monitor setup once from Samsung that was designed to be like

Code:
where the outside two monitors were designed so that the width was the same size as the height of the middle one so you rotated them 90 degrees for this sort of setup. I personally liked that more than two or three monitors of the same size, but it's not very common.

100%, I might eventually get the same set up, since my new ones can rotate to portrait mode, I'd just need to find a center monitor which would fit. For now, 2 is pretty much all I need. I've had 3, and the productivity gain just wasn't there.

^^^ Not an easy setup to accomplish and get the side monitors matching the height of the middle monitor and also, ideally, its vertical resolution.

The only way I have been able to closely match both height resolution is with a 30" in the middle running 2560 x 1600 and find two discontinued 21" at 4:3 running at 1600 x 1200 in portrait.

I think I'm going to get the 31.5 inch 4K from dell and a couple monitors that match it's vertical height closest in portrait, and ignore matching the resoution. Either that or three x 30" for about the same money.

1316422683.jpg

For the fuck of cum, get another one of the same one you already have.

1. cos the ultrasharps are kickass monitors and
2. so you don't upset your interior designer boyfriend by being out of zen

Also when you're ready for the big dick shit, you can buy like a 27 or a 30 inch and put it in between these two and pop these badboys vertical, and you'll still have symmetry.

Looks like I'll be getting another one of the same. thanks for the input gaiz!

It depends what will be the use of next monitor but I gues if you already got 24 inch just get around same size because it easy to work on biger monitor rather than small screens.

edit:
offs I can ansci art for anything.

They've gotta be the same monitor or at least same family.