Best Card To Save On Gas/Credit Card Question

Human

X
Nov 24, 2009
I drive a Jeep Liberty for now. That thing eats up the gas. Also, I enjoy saving money, and have never had a need for a credit card.

I'd like to get a credit card for gas purchases to save money on gas per gallon, or got some kind of cash back discount.

I checked online, and there wasn't much updated information, mostly stuff from 2008. Knowing that you guys are money-savvy, what would you suggest?

Also, I've applied for a few credit cards, but since I had no credit history I wasn't applicable. How would I start to get a good credit history without a credit card?

Thanks, and sorry if this seems extremely stupid.

Go to your bank with 500 dollars in hand.

Tell them you want a secured card.

Give them 500 dollars as security.

Card ships to you in a couple weeks.

Yay. Credit.

Now use card and always pay on time.

Go to bank with 500 dollars again.

Ask for an credit increase.

Ask nicely for an increase non secured........ if they don't give it use your 500 dollars.

In about 6 months you will have a credit rating, and be able to apply for real cards.

Don't do anything stupid and get 40 cards or anything.

Don't get into the habit of carrying large balanced month to month, but while you are building your credit do leave a balance. They want to see you can pay off your debts.

Once you do establish your credit and if you live near a Costco with gas pumps, get a Costco Amex card. The price of gas at Costco is usually the cheapest around, plus you get an extra .03/gallon off from your card. You get it back in the form of a Costco voucher that you can use on any purchase at Costco.

Chase Freedom/Perfect Cards give you 3% back on gas all year...At Least they did about 6 months ago when I got my one card.

Perol companies offer cards for purchasing fuel. You get a discount AND credit. The only snag is that you have to fill up at the same brand of station. This works well in the UK... not sure how it would work in the US. If you know anybody in the transport business then i would speak to them. The discount is not great.

Chase Freedom/Perfect Cards give you 3% back on gas all year...At Least they did about 6 months ago when I got my one card.

Chase is the devil - literally. BofA, Chase, etc... all those national banks have horrible service, and treat you like shit. Why do it?

He's got no credit - he's going to have to start off at his local bank or do one of those HORRIBLE yearly fee cards.

Chase is the devil - literally. BofA, Chase, etc... all those national banks have horrible service, and treat you like shit. Why do it?

He's got no credit - he's going to have to start off at his local bank or do one of those HORRIBLE yearly fee cards.

Except...I've had a Perfect Card for 21 months now...and I just turned 20 last week. I know of 4 or 5 other friends with no credit that got accepted to the perfect card too. This was after all the banks got in trouble too, after they started cutting back. So, how does that force him to go with one of those horrible cards, if chase accepts people with no credit?

The Freedom card I was denied the first time, because I had two cards in my name already and not a long enough credit history to back it up. But I got one of them about six months ago, that's another good card.

Amex Blue Cash (5% on gas/grocery/pharmacy after initial 6.5K spending, 1.25% on everything else), Chase Freedom (3% on gas/grocery/fast food, 3.25% if you save up to $200, get a $250 check..1/1.25% on everything else).

Link for Amex: http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/BlueCash

And my personal favorite business card: Ink Bold (http://www.inkfromchase.com/cards/ink-bold/) ..Earn up to 47,500 points each year. So spend 100K, 1.47% cash back (I prefer cash back to Amex points). Only $95/year.

And to build up good credit is to definitely pay all your bills on time, cell phone, internet, electricity, blah blah blah.

Except...I've had a Perfect Card for 21 months now...and I just turned 20 last week. I know of 4 or 5 other friends with no credit that got accepted to the perfect card too. This was after all the banks got in trouble too, after they started cutting back. So, how does that force him to go with one of those horrible cards, if chase accepts people with no credit?

The Freedom card I was denied the first time, because I had two cards in my name already and not a long enough credit history to back it up. But I got one of them about six months ago, that's another good card.

Doesn't change the fact that chase is the devil now does it.

He already said he got denied for cards -- so he's actually got negative credit instead of just none.

If you read my post I didn't suggest one of those horrible cards......... he just needs to build up some credit and I told him a way to do it.

And to build up good credit is to definitely pay all your bills on time, cell phone, internet, electricity, blah blah blah.

I don't think utilities and phone/internet services report to the bureaus unless bills go unpaid and end up in collections.

Doesn't change the fact that chase is the devil now does it.

He already said he got denied for cards -- so he's actually got negative credit instead of just none.

If you read my post I didn't suggest one of those horrible cards......... he just needs to build up some credit and I told him a way to do it.

I was denied by 3-4 cards before I got accepted for the Chase card...so it's worth a shot...and I don't have anything bad to say about chase...Never had any problems.