Backlinking to same page?

axe786

Jan 5, 2011
Hi

I was wondering if the following counts for anything with seo for a site.

say the product page of a website is

www.website.com/kjnaskjm,54.html

and the product relates to candles

if i create a anchor text backlink on the page with a keyword relevant to the site and point it to the same page will it help with seo?

Any advice would be appreciated.

No......

Creating a link on a page that points back to itself is not going to do you any good. You need links from other sites for a benefit.

If it was that easy then everyone would just create a bunch of circular links on their own sites.

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I have seen a competitor of mine do that with his iste and he has loads of backlinks generated that point to the same page. Do you mean that they are worthless ?

No......

Creating a link on a page that points back to itself is not going to do you any good. You need links from other sites for a benefit.

If it was that easy then everyone would just create a bunch of circular links on their own sites.

Wow.... Wrong.

Creating links back to your own page with the anchor text you choose _is_ helpful.

People _DO_ create a bunch of circular links to their own sites. Think about blog/site menu navigation.

Think about categories, think about tags, think about footer text, think about clickable logos that link back to the homepage.

This is SEO 101 on-site optimization.

Is it the only thing you need? No - you'll need outside links.
Do you need to repeat it 500 times or even 5 times? No.
But do you need to do it? Sure.

Yeah good internal linking is bedrock you build everything else on. It's ok to link a page to itself but more valuable I think to cross link related pages, like from other similar product pages, and of course from navigational links as Hav3n mentioned.

Well I see intelligent linking within your site linking your pages together as a coherent whole something completely different than a random link buried on a page linking back to the same page which is what the op was asking about. Can it hurt? No, but I honestly do not see it as a benefit.

Setting up a proper link structure on your site. Benefit

Oddly placed link pointing back to same page. I really do not see it.

Wow.... Wrong.

Creating links back to your own page with the anchor text you choose _is_ helpful.

People _DO_ create a bunch of circular links to their own sites. Think about blog/site menu navigation.

Think about categories, think about tags, think about footer text, think about clickable logos that link back to the homepage.

This is SEO 101 on-site optimization.

Is it the only thing you need? No - you'll need outside links.
Do you need to repeat it 500 times or even 5 times? No.
But do you need to do it? Sure.

wtf. internal linking (where one page links to another page on the same domain) =/= a page linking to itself.

Thanks for the information. I was quite sure that linking a page from one part of your site to another part that has some sort of relevance will definetly help. Im sure of that

What i wasn'rt sure was a page linking to itself, sounds kinda stupid but ive seen it done with a high ranking website that has more of these types of backlinks than other backlinks, which by themselves could not possibly give it the ranking it has.

Hiiii, Terry Kyle, owner of this forum and backlinking master, says to NOT target one page with multiple keywords. To instead make a page such as chicagobarber.com/chicago-barber-shop and then backlink that with your second keyphrase.
All hail the new backlinking master.

Why not? Take a look at Wordpress post titles.

Yes.

I always link every page to itself with it's most important keyword.

1. Keyword in URL.
2. Keyword in Title.
3. Keyword anchored on the page.

Why?

Because Google uses the anchored text on a page to help discern the topic of that page.

However, that link, (#3 above), does NOT need to go to same page
or even to same site. It is not going to pass PR to itself, but it does
make the page more relevant. What's important is that the anchored
text is your topic, NOT where the link is pointing.

This is my opinion and the few tests I've done were positive.

Not that hard to test anyways.

Bompa

Reactions: jimmyn